S95 Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautica2706

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just tested my new S95 + ike housing in the pool today. Can't say i am dissapointed with such a little camera :D

However I found out that the battery went down to 50% just after a 74 mins dive (started with 100%). I only took 36 images mixed of macro w/internal flash and WA w/o internal flash (RAW + JPG) and 5 vids (total runtime: about 7 mins). I turned off all the unnecessary features (sounds, focusing light, etc).

Judging by those performance, i doubt if the battery will last even for 1 real open water dive.

Anyone here able to shed some light into this or share some experience with their S95 w/o strobe?

If indeed I have to prepare 3 batteries for one 3 dives day, then would you suggest to clean and re-grease the O-ring everytime I change the battery? Could be a hassle in open water :(

Naut--I ended up using an S-95 quite a bit when my G-10 took a bath on Bali last spring. My experience w/ the Canon NB-6L battery was that it gave me about a dive and a half, maybe 2 dives if I wasn't seeing much--but that never seemed to happen on Bali! Looking at my log I was getting 130-150 shots on 60-80 minute dives no problem, at least not in warm Indo waters!

I also had a couple Wasabi NB-6L's, which have a bit higher MAh rating (1000MAh Canon vs 1300 MAh for the Wasabi). Wouldn't claim I got lot's better mileage from the Wasabi's but I did prefer them--they are much less expensive than Canon and have given me no trouble. Buy a couple Wasabi's, you'll need the extras! (Go to Amazon, enter Wasabi NB-6L on Search. Usually there is a deal for 2 of them w/ charger for maybe $20-25.US)

One note: I use the on-board strobe at low power setting because I'm using an external strobe. That helps extend battery use as does shutting the display down after a minute or 2. Check your "Power Settings" on the Menu, maybe set it for Auto-Shut down and for the Display to power down after a minute or 2. The camera powers up pretty quick, no real problem to have it turn off after a short interval of non-use.

No, you don't need to re-lube the O-ring each time you change the battery out. Sure, check the O-ring for grit, debris, lint etc. but normally it stays pretty "lubed". You need to re-lube if it appears that the ring is losing lubrication but all the silicone grease does is let the ring move smoothly when sealing; not letting it bind or bunch up in the O-ring groove. Often I remove the O-ring and rinse in cold water between dives or at the end of the day. Getting that black volcanic grit off the ring is pretty easy that way and is much less likely to affect the lubrication coating.

I eventually started swapping batteries after every dive and got used to it. No big deal and you do not want to be seeing that low battery warning on a dive, it ALWAYS happens before the good stuff comes along! I take along a little "kit" w/ extra batteries, extra silca gel, an O-ring removal tool and a soft lens chamois to soak up any drops of water on the housing before I open it.

Very nice little camera. Grab some extra batteries and silca gel packs, you'll get lot's of use with the camera! // ww

+1 for Wasabi batteries, the Japanese ones. Consistently 2 to 3 dives per battery.

Can't get my hands on a wasabi battery form where I'm at so bought the ones we have, Japanese made SDV (2000MAh). Hope it helps.

N--You'll probably see the original battery perking up after it's been cycled in use a few times. Video use will reduce battery life of course but since the still frame shots are the number you see most, that's what gets noticed more. The S-95 isn't a power hog but those batteries are being asked to do a lot.

If the 2K MAh rating is legit for the SDV batteries you got it's double Canon's battery rating, so one would expect them to do better. Eventually when you can compare the average run times of the 2 battery types it would be great to see a post. // ww

I am thinking about running the camera on vid record and leave it till the battery dies. Prob gonna have to do 1 or 2 breaks to format the full SD card :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom