Saba trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reminded that I had promised to post a trip report on Saba and I have not - so here goes!

My daughter and I visited both Saba and St. Marteen in May 2010. We had never visited either island and I did not want to go that far and not go to both.

We flew into St. Marteen on US Air and used Ace rental car. This operation does not have an on site location but other posters on this board said that they are prompt and responsible and would be there to meet us and sure enough they were pretty well where they said they would be. The car we received was pretty much a piece of junk but that's cool cause it got us where we wanted to go.

We stayed at the Sonesta Maho right at the airport. The facility is pretty old but at $150 a night US it met our needs and the location was good. There were several places to walk to for meals so that was not an issue. We did not eat on site so I can't comment on the food at the Maho.

We did walk out on the beach at the end of the runway when one of the big KLM jets taxied down and then took off. Probably wouldn't do that again. Interesting but not really an intelligent thing to do!

We dove with Octopus diving in Grand Case. We only dove with them one day - 2 tanks AM and 2 tanks PM. They were fine and I would recommend them to anyone who asked. In addition, the dives were better than I had been lead to believe by reading various posts on this board.

The next morning we dropped off the car at ACE had arranged for one of their employees to take us to the Edge ferry. I was wondering if I had made a mistake but I found the employee asleep in his car. He was waiting on us. They don't open that early and he was really doing us a favor handling our needs like this.

The ferry leaves St. Marteen for SABA around 9:00 am. We had made reservations ahead of time so there were no issues. The ferry crew charged me $5.00 US for each of our bags. Said they were too heavy - even our carry ons. I figure he just pocketed the money.

On SABA we were supposed to be picked up by SEA SABA and taken to our lodging. However, they never showed up. After about an hour of waiting, a local asked us what was up and we told him. He called us a cab (I am sure it was a relative looking to make a quick buck) and the cabbie took us to the Cottage Club. The charge was $19.00 US. Sea Saba apologized for the mix up and took the $19.00 off of our final bill.

The Cottage club was top shelf and I would recommend them to anyone visiting SABA. They were within walking distance of everything in the Windward Community. Julianna's is located on the other side of the hill from the Cottage Club and I am reasonably sure that you would also enjoy staying there.

SEA SABA would ask every morning where you wanted to eat dinner at. I asked why and was told that some of the restaurants would not open if there were no reservations for the afternoon. We ate at The Brigadoon, Treasure Pizza, the sandwich shoppe on "main street" and at Scouts Place. My daughter loved with a capital L the red snapper at Scouts place. We went to the grocery and purchased items to cook breakfast in the room.

The diving with Sea Saba is generally a 2-tank AM trip and an option for a one tank afternoon dive. As best as I can remember the one tank dive was $40 US per person per day. My daughter and I did all the dives for the week. Most of the time we were the only two doing the PM dive so it was just us and the DM. On one occasion there was a try scuba couple and on another there were two open water students doing their open water dives. When it was just the two of us the DM didn't care how long we stayed down. In the AM the depth of the dives dictated dive times.

We booked our entire package "on Saba' with Sea Saba. The package included the 2-tank AM dives each day, lodging and all transportation to and from the dive boat. They also pick you up (supposed to anyhow) and drop you off at the pier or airport upon arrival and departure.

We had no issues with Sea Saba and would use them again. We didn't really have a "yuck" meal at any of the restaurants and I will agree that the Brigadoon is pricey!

There are ATM's on the island and the grocery store would take USD, Euros or Guilders. I think with the new laws that were adopted in October 2010, the currency going forward will be the USD. Don't quote me on this!

For the trip back to St. Marteen we used the Dawn II ferry. Based on the way this ferry is designed I would say to anyone who gets sea sick easily - pick another method of transportation. You sit down in the ferry and can not see out. As we were arriving at St. Marteen the ferry operator called for a cab to take us to the airport. The cab was a Limo and the charge was $19.00 US for the trip. This ferry and the Edge ferry operate from two different sections of St. Marteen. The Dawn II ferry arrived close to the cruise ship docks.

All in all we enjoyed the trip. The diving is more about the pinnacles and formations than the sea life. We did see our first peppermint basslets there. Most of the sea life is the typical caribbean fare - and it's all good!

Saba is an experience and if you are really into diving it really should be on your to do list!

DD

Other observations:

Almost everyone on our dive boat for the week were from the UK. They were mostly dive instructors on holiday just diving for fun rather than work. There was no modesty in the group - (male or female) so don't expect Puritan virtues on a dive boat where most of the crew and divers are from the other side of the pond. - Compared to the rest of the divers we dove with, our measley 200 or so dives dictated that we were not even wet behind the ears compared to their experience. That is a good thing if you take the time to watch and learn.

If you wanted a snack during the surface interval on the boat you need to bring your own. They only supplied water and fruit.

Don't expect to do much shopping on the island. A Scout's Place or a Sea Saba dive shirt was about as good as it's going to get.

The #1 non-diving activity on the island is hiking. Lots of trails for various skill levels. We didn't do alot of hiking due to diving morning and afternoon. Mt. Scenery was cloud covered every day we were there. We did not climb to the top - maybe next time.

It rained most afternoons on the side of the island we stayed on. Not really an issue except it made it more difficult to dry out the dive gear, etc.

The views were quite spectacular - regardless of which way you looked.

Last edited:
Other observations:

Almost everyone on our dive boat for the week were from the UK. They were mostly dive instructors on holiday just diving for fun rather than work. There was no modesty in the group - (male or female) so don't expect Puritan virtues on a dive boat were most of the crew and divers are from the other side of the pond. - Compared to the rest of the divers we dove with, our measley 200 or so dives dictated that we were not even wet behind the ears compared to their experience. That is a good thing if you take the time to watch and learn.

If you wanted a snack during the surface interval on the boat you need to bring your own. They only supplied water and fruit.

Don't expect to do much shopping on the island. A Scout's Place or a Sea Saba dive shirt was about as good as it's going to get.

The #1 non-diving activity on the island is hiking. Lots of trails for various skill levels. We didn't do alot of hiking due to diving morning and afternoon. Mt. Scenery was cloud covered every day we were there. We did not climb to the top - maybe next time.

It rained most afternoons on the side of the island we stayed on. Not really an issue except it made it more difficult to dry out the dive gear, etc.

The views were quite spectacular - regardless of which way you looked.

Great report! I hear Saba is really unchartered. Would you agree?

Thanks Dan. Great report. Better late than never, LOL. I did Saba on the CEII in November and it was nice although when I was there the currents were mighty strong. It is one HUGE ROCK on the water!

Great report! I hear Saba is really unchartered. Would you agree?

I would have to agree it's off the beaten path.

No beaches. No american fast food or businesses. The pier area looks like a prison colony. Really nice locals. Our hosts at the Cottage Club were great.

Funny story - my daughter and I were walking to dinner one evening and the temperature was around 80 degrees F (give or take). There was a mom yelling at her kid to keep his tobaggon hat on cause it was so cold. The kid had on a sweatshirt. My daughter got a kick out of that - exclaiming that mom's were the same the world over!

Thanks Dan. Great report. Better late than never, LOL. I did Saba on the CEII in November and it was nice although when I was there the currents were mighty strong. It is one HUGE ROCK on the water!

The current was always strong out on the pinnacles. One of those hand over hand down the anchor line experiences.
Less so on the dives closer to the island.

Thanks Dan...I have been looking at Saba for awhile....Nice to hear real info

Thanks for the report!

Did you happen to dive with nick and Lisa at sea Saba?? Two really close friends of mine that used to live here on St. Croix. Nick and I actually grew up about ten minutes away from each other, but never met before moving here!

Edit: didn't see the dates of the trip, nick and Lisa didn't get there until this past fall...

Thanks for the report!

Did you happen to dive with nick and Lisa at sea Saba?? Two really close friends of mine that used to live here on St. Croix. Nick and I actually grew up about ten minutes away from each other, but never met before moving here!

Edit: didn't see the dates of the trip, nick and Lisa didn't get there until this past fall...

Nope - our trip was in May 2010. We had "Big Steve" for most of the week as our boat captain with either Scott or "Little Steve" as the DM.

My wife and I are going to St Maarten for 10 days at Memorial Day and were thinking about taking the ferry to Saba for a two tank dive. Does the ferry get you there early enough to go out on the boat that morning and do you need to make advance arrangements?

Back
Top Bottom