SAFE STOLEN OFF WALL IN BONAIRE / Important trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to expand on scubabanker's report, the BT Web site also has a report from a guest whose room at Sanddollar resort was burglarized while they were there sleeping, just a few weeks ago. The burglars hit 9 places, 5 of which were occupied. They have police reports to verify.

We didn't have any problems in our recent trip, but all these reports sure had me overly cautious while we were there.

Makes me consider travelling with fewer valuables.

evad:
Where do they sell these things they steal?
Aruba or Curacao?

Simple things can make for safer journeys.

"McGeyver Specialty Diver"

I don't care if it's Bonaire or Bombay, Paranoid People Prevail.

Lock your room door at night. Use the chain. Balance an upturned beer bottle just behind it. Sometimes I just use a wooden chair- not to "wedge" the door- that's just plain silly. Place it balanced so that anyone opening the door would tip it over. Noisemakers come in all forms, not just electronic sirens!

Windows and balconies are tougher, but only because you have to bring along a spool of carpet/button sewing thread... the heavy duty kind.

Make yourself a trip wire. Knee level, out of the light- tie one end to the wall, the other end to... you guessed it- and upturned wine bottle. Don't forget that high window in the toilet- the one you couldn't crawl through!

Room invaders most often work in pairs- one waits at the final exit portal (not necessarily the initial entrance) to facilitate the fast exit- possibly even to cause a block or physical cessation to your pursuit.

I've travelled all over the world, sometimes overnighted in some dreadful places.

Wall safes and provided room safes? Worst place you could put anything. Either get smart and get clever about secreting cash (not the wallet) within your stowed belongings or somewhere in the room, or speak with hotel management about holding a sealed manilla envelope in your name.

When we travel, we also carry what is called a "drop wallet". If accosted, it makes a handy decoy. Present it, open it, show a few expired credit cards, a few 5 bucks in singles- then toss it at an oblique angle to your new friend- and skeedaddle.

Remember: Cash, Credit Cards and Driver's Licenses are waterproof. If you want to take it diving, by all means, do so.

If that doesn't work, you might want to learn how to use a knife, then stow one in your checked bags. I've only needed once on a dive trip, but we sure changed those sap's minds in Quito- both me and the little Missus displayed sharp shiny opbjects with a snap.

Paranoid? Maybe, but alive. This stuff doesn't cost you much in time or material.

these places need to learn to "not bite the hand that feeds them".

These are high tourist traffic areas and I'm pretty sure they depend on that traffic to maintain some sort of existance. If the tourist wont come, they won't make money.

If they are not doing anything about the high rate of crime, then they should reap the 'reward' of not doing so.

what the heck does a police report do to prevent these crimes from happening? nothing, they've already occured.

has anyone received their items back?

you're a tourist. you've already spent your money, someone got your other non-cash items. They're done with you, and you'll go back and maybe whine about it here and there. Problem is, more people will have arrived on that plane/boat that took you out.

Tourists are a perpetual money making machine for several elements at these places.

time for people to not support that kind of activity.

<<but getting insurance that will cover their guest items if the rooms are broken into. >>

Scuba Banker having been in the ins bus for some 30 years, one of the tenets of insurance policies is the insured MUST have an insurable interest in the property. As a business owner, they would NOT have an insurable interest in your personal property, ergo no valid claim.
You alone have this. It's would be your obligation to get adequate coverage for this incident. It can not be passed through to the business owner of the property.

ok since that is not a possible do you know who has a reasonable insurane poilcy to cover your items when you are traveling? Because it begins to add up when you add dan insurance to cover you, trip insurance for flight delays and illness incidents, then you add the cdw insurance that is charge with rental car that adds up to quite a chunk of money.

TRAVEL insurance??

Mine covers both items and medical incidents. And I got it thrown at me by the insurance company when I insured my car.. It made me a better customer and decreased my total insurance payments..
(Why does mine say its void if I dive deeper than 30m I wonder?)

I am wondering if the Hotel's Security guard could be in on this one.

Who can you really trust when you are out of town?

How much do they pay the local Police?

WOW I was thinking of going there. Pretty brazen. I like the PPP but it is a b!@#$ gettin a 357 to the island. boycott bonaire!!!! think they would care???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom