Safe to leave gear out over night on your patio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it safe to leave your dive gear out to dry at night on your patio on Bonaire in general?

I understand most of the accomodations there are not walled, gated or guarded.

What's been your experience? 1st floor okay or no / no. 2nd floor no problem?

My answer depends on where you are staying. Major resort, security walking around - probably. Remote location, private house - less inclined. I typically leave some gear out - wet and bathing suits, sometimes BC, weights, booties, fins. NEVER - regulators, computers, lights, camera. I don't leave regs, computers, lights in a common gear room for a long time either, usually just between dives and bring them back to room at night. Even on a second floor I bring the major stuff in at night. Knock wood - have never had anything wander away... Hope that helps.

I'm headed to Bonaire in a couple of months, and my plan is to dry my gear on the patio but I would never leave anything of real value out there overnight regardless of what anyone might tell you in this thread.

If a 100 divers say "no problem" and yet you're the one who happens to be targeted by a thief, then it's not going to help you when you walk outside the following morning and it hits you that you'll be renting gear for the duration of the trip and looking at a hefty cost to replace your prized gear, plus that "feeling of being victimized".

Don't do it. Maybe leave the wetsuit and booties outside, but the regs, computers, knives, masks...they'll be dry anyway. Bring them in when you're not going to be there to watch them.

Is it safe to leave your dive gear out to dry at night on your patio on Bonaire in general?

The history....

I've stayed at 4 places in Cozumel and have always left dive equipment drying on the patio in all 4 places and never had a problem.

Can you do this in Bonaire?

I DID this on Bonaire - TWICE

I stayed at Den Laman twice and both times left my suit, skin, towel, boots, fins.....everything but my regs, computers, cameras.....sitting on the second floor balcony to dry over night. As with others, common sense neds to play in so I would never leave anything out (when I was not there) on a main floor room and this goes for anywhere in the world.

If anybody believes it is a good idea to leave everything out where it is easily reachable (anywhere in the world) then they can expect a reality check soon.

Oh and because I did not say it, both times (stated above) I had absolutely no problems.

Oh and because I did not say it, both times (stated above) I had absolutely no problems.

You didn't have problems because you didn't say it both times?

Then it naturally follows, that if you said it both times, you would have had problems?

I'm not seeing the connection there.

Doesn't matter where you leave it as long as you have a brace of Rotweilers taking care of business, 1st floor would be better so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night when the dogs need to take a leak. Of course it also a good idea to check with the resort if they allow Rotties rather than just showing up with them, as a side note check on their policies regarding grills for cooking lionfish too.

Are we really gonna go over this again?? I dont leave my stuff out overnight at my own house, and I live in a very nice area. Schitt happens everywhere in the world, Not just on Bonaire! How about using logic and caution? If you leave something of value no matter what it is outside (whether in the US or Abroad) There is a chance that it will disappear!

The history....

I stayed at Den Laman twice and both times left my suit, skin, towel, boots, fins.....everything but my regs, computers, cameras.....sitting on the second floor balcony to dry over night. As with others, common sense neds to play in so I would never leave anything out (when I was not there) on a main floor room and this goes for anywhere in the world.

If anybody believes it is a good idea to leave everything out where it is easily reachable (anywhere in the world) then they can expect a reality check soon.

You can do this on Bandos in the Maldives, not computers and cameras, but most other stuff is OK.

You can do this on Bandos in the Maldives, not computers and cameras, but most other stuff is OK.

As I indicated, I took in the items of worth. Actually, the way I will typically reason it out is I will ask myself "If I lose this will it ruin my vacation and does this make to easy a target?". If the answer is yes, it comes in. If the answer is no, then I am comfortable leaving it out but it may still come in.

As I indicated, I took in the items of worth. Actually, the way I will typically reason it out is I will ask myself "If I lose this will it ruin my vacation and does this make to easy a target?". If the answer is yes, it comes in. If the answer is no, then I am comfortable leaving it out but it may still come in.

Bandos is great for that though, open ground floor patio that people walk past, and everybody leaves their gear out to dry on the last day or so to dry out properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom