Safe to leave gear out over night on your patio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it safe to leave your dive gear out to dry at night on your patio on Bonaire in general?

I understand most of the accomodations there are not walled, gated or guarded.

What's been your experience? 1st floor okay or no / no. 2nd floor no problem?

We stayed at Don's. We left our wetsuits out on our porch and had no problems, other than the occasional lizard roosting on them. We left the bulk of our gear in the lockers down by baby dock.

Mike: I'm sure there's an ulterior motive behind your innocuous question since you are a prolific poster (and self appointed expert) on all things Bonaire. (If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance, but intuitively I doubt it). So I will answer you as follows..Unequivocally, categorically, beyond any shadow of a doubt... YES (if you are staying at VINIBU)!

More seriously, why would you want to? Most resorts on Bonaire have locked dive storage areas. Then just bring your regs and computer inside. Would it really be an undue hardship to bring it in? Why even risk the chance of it disappearing? In other words why tempt fate? I've always preached being prudent and being proactive in the area of theft.. I've been following this simple formula for 25 years on Bonaire with never a problem.

As an FYI...If I were staying at a resort on ANY of the many islands I've been to in the Carib., rest assured I would NOT leave my expensive equipment out in the open over night where someone could merely walk up & take it.

In a word No . You are attracting undesirable attention to your accommodation , also , Dengue Fever carrying mosquitoes are really attracted to cool damp neoprene .

Never had any problem at Den Laman. All the rooms are on the 2nd or 3rd floors and the walls would be pretty difficult to scale, especially with a security guard sitting there overnight. That's just on gear drying day, as we had no problems with the open hours of the gear storage room. Like others, I bring my valuables (regs, computers) back to the room with me, not because I don't trust Bonaireans, but because I don't trust my fellow divers.

I don't leave my gear out overnight in Bonaire because of the mosquitoes. I do leave it on the balcony patio (balcony means 2nd floor) to dry before night fall.

I don't leave my gear out overnight in my own neighborhood. Common sense tells me it might not be there in the morning if I did

Most places have a gear rooms to store your gear while it dries. The key is a available 24/7 and I don't leave regs and computers in the gear room to be taken by fellow guests

Well, if the crooks are breaking into your rented condo, pulling the safe out of the wall, removing the battery and tires from your rental truck/car, my guess is leaving stuff out to dry, even for 30 minutes, is risky. Contrast that to Coz, Grand Turk and Saba, were I routinley leave stuff out to dry in the afternon sun.

Is it safe to leave your dive gear out to dry at night on your patio on Bonaire in general?

I understand most of the accomodations there are not walled, gated or guarded.

What's been your experience? 1st floor okay or no / no. 2nd floor no problem?

Yes, it is an innocuos question, so why are you getting so defensive?:eyebrow:

Mike: I'm sure there's an ulterior motive behind your innocuous question since you are a prolific poster (and self appointed expert) on all things Bonaire. (If I'm wrong, I'll apologize in advance, but intuitively I doubt it). So I will answer you as follows..Unequivocally, categorically, beyond any shadow of a doubt... YES (if you are staying at VINIBU)!

More seriously, why would you want to? Most resorts on Bonaire have locked dive storage areas. Then just bring your regs and computer inside. Would it really be an undue hardship to bring it in? Why even risk the chance of it disappearing? In other words why tempt fate? I've always preached being prudent and being proactive in the area of theft.. I've been following this simple formula for 25 years on Bonaire with never a problem.

As an FYI...If I were staying at a resort on ANY of the many islands I've been to in the Carib., rest assured I would NOT leave my expensive equipment out in the open over night where someone could merely walk up & take it.

Another county heard from.

You have to touch your gear on Saba? Man, you need to find a different dive shop... Staff takes care of my gear there

"If... my guess..." You put a lot of speculation into a post that asks "Do You..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom