Safe to leave gear out over night on your patio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, yes, it brings back memories. Once, not on Bonaire, I was looking down from our balcony about 100 ft above the sea and I asked my wife "What's that in the water?" She said it looks like a piece of clothing.

We both then silently scan the items scattered around, drying on the balcony and I said "Oh crap, where's my swimsuit?" (Or something similar)

She laughed and told me to have a nice swim.

:rofl3:

To repeat what others have said - use common sense. For me, common sense means avoiding the creation of tempting circumstances. This applies not only to undesirable homo sapiens, but other vermin like house mice or rats who might just like chew on something important to get a bit of salt or exotic marine protein. My gear comes in at night, whether at an exotic gated resort with security on patrol or at home.

To repeat what others have said - use common sense. For me, common sense means avoiding the creation of tempting circumstances. This applies not only to undesirable homo sapiens, but other vermin like house mice or rats who might just like chew on something important to get a bit of salt or exotic marine protein. My gear comes in at night, whether at an exotic gated resort with security on patrol or at home.

I was surprise a year ago when unpacking my gear at home after a week in Curacao, to find a lizard in one of my booties. Though I guess the lizard was probably a lot more surprised to have ended up in NJ in February!

:shocked2:

I was surprise a year ago when unpacking my gear at home after a week in Curacao, to find a lizard in one of my booties. Though I guess the lizard was probably a lot more surprised to have ended up in NJ in February!

:shocked2:

Better a lizard than a scorpion..My advice; Always make it a habit to bang your dive boots BEFORE putting them on.

As opposed to banging them later?

:cool2:

Well, it does little good to bang them later. I guarantee if there's a scorpion inside when you put your dive boots on, it'll be a lesson that you'll probably never forget.:D

Just making a bad joke.

Actually, in the tropics I have taken to hanging my boots one way or another, both to keep away little visitors and to help them dry.

We give the same advice to our guests, about the scorpions. All of our apts. have enclosed or semi-enclosed back porches with dry lines. The majority of our guests hang wet suits, skins, and sometimes regs, BCD's bathing suits, etc. Never had a problem.

The thing with the scorpions is that there are 2 kinds on island (I am aware of), neither will kill you. A light sand color one just causes a lot of pain when stung, and you may experience some site irritation. The more brown sandy one's venom is a little more toxic and may give you stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting. Normally they are not a problem, but when it rains, they RUN for anyplace dry. They are so tiny you won't see them enter your room, or you may bring them in to your room. They will look for dark "warm" places to hide, so booties are their fav place!

Oh also, if you are allergic to bees, wasps, etc, and do get stung, go to the clinic and get a benadryl shot and anti-venom shot, so your vaca will not be ruined. My son is allergic to bees, he got stung by a scorpion and had his typical "bee" reaction. Took him to the ER, they have him 2 shots, he slept for 10 hours, then woke up feeling great, and continued enjoying his vaca.

Liz

The other "stingy" creature we encountered on Bonaire were small jellies, on a night dive. My son was 11, and sort of tuned out the predive info on the procedure for surfacing if there were jelly fish, and he got himself stung pretty well. He too got to visit the hospital, and get a couple of shots for the reaction. Didn't stop his vacay, but did teach him to pay better attention to instructions!
No one else had any problems, although my daughter got stung a bit that night too, because her brother stopped on the ladder in front of her to remove his fins, instead of scooting quickly up to avoid the little pests. But my daughter was not stung in several places like her brother, because she dropped back down till the ladder was clear.

Like myself, neither of my 2 ever needed a wet suit for Bonaire, even diving 1- 17 dives a week for them, or 20+ for me, but after that encounter with jellis, while night diving they saw the wisdom of skins, and listening more closely during predive planning :no: :shakehead:

Jim,

I always use, at least, a skin now. I got hit by a bell jelly on my arm OUCH. My arm swelled up and and 3 long marks on it. I used white vinegar on it dried and washed it again, then a mix of baking soda and water paste. The swelling went down in a couple of days, but the marks took almost a month to go away.

Back
Top Bottom