Safe To Return?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA-Steve

Reaction score
Got a middle ear baratrauma in my right ear about five weeks ago when I forced an equalizaiton. A rookie mistake made by a rookie. Anyway, it had cleared up for the most part. Both ears have cleared, no signs or fullness or muffled sounds. The only symptom I have left is that my right ear is slightly soar, not painful at all I just can feel the right ear if that makes sense. Both ears can clear, the right one a little slower than the other. I have a diving trip tomorrow is this something I should skip or am I safe as long as I can equalize? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you still have soreness in the ear - then you still have inflammation with swelling of the lining of the middle ear and possibly the opening of the Eustachian tube into the middle ear cavity. Although this might not happen, this is a good set-up for a full blown reverse squeeze on ascent - given the probability that you will have some increased pressure changes in the ear on descent.

If you feel that you have to dive - we would recommend that you take some kind of decongestant prior to diving (Afrin nasal Spray or oral Sudafed). In addition, a very slow descent on the anchor line would be helpfull. For some techniques that might be helpful here is a web site that you can download:
http://www.scuba-doc.com/download/Equalizing_Techniques.zip

To learn more about the ear and diving go to our web site at http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html

Scuba Doc:
Thanks for your response. I don't have to dive tomorrow I have just been itchy to get back since I have taken five weeks off. Sounds like it is better to be safe than sorry. It is a frustrating experience. My doc has me taking Guaifen PSE & Nasonex. I actually was at his office yesterday with my wife and had him take a look into both ears. He said both ear drums looked fine. Is there anything else that I can do to correct the problem? Is there anyway to tell when the condition might clear up? Thanks again for your advice. I would rather take another week or so off than to take another five if I have another barotrauma.

The basis of the problem is not in your ears but in your nose. A good exam of your nasopharynx might turn up some correctible pathology that is causing your 'block'. This could be nasal septal deviation, polyps, tumors, bony protuberances near the opening to the Eustachian tube or allergic rhinitis.

scubadoc
Diving Medicine Online
http://www.scuba-doc.com

Scubadoc:
Hi. Went to visit my local ENT doc yesterday since my affected ear is still slightly soar. After a half-hearted lecture on how bad diving is for me he took a look and the ear drum is still slightly inflamed. Gave me a prescription for ear drops and told me to come back in ten days for a follow up. He was confident it should heal fine and I shouldn't have any residual problems once it does. In your last posting you said a nasopharnyx exam might show some type of obstruction. Stupid question but is that exam a simple look up the nose or is there more to it than that? The doc looked up my nose. Didn't know if that is what you were talking about. Thanks for you advice.

Back
Top Bottom