Safe way to tuck a seven-foot hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I believe this may have been answered before, but I can’t locate the answer.

In the case of a short second source necklace / long hose 7 foot primary source combo, if you are not diving with a dive lamp with a canister, how do you wrap safely the long hose to make sure it doesn’t dangle all over the place ?

I try to tuck the extra hose under the waist on the right side but it appears to get dislodged very easily so I was wondering what other safe solutions might exist ?

I try to tuck the extra hose under the waist on the right side but it appears to get dislodged very easily so I was wondering what other safe solutions might exist ?

if your waist strap is snug enough *it should be the only "snug" one on a one-piece harnes, it shouldn't come out that easily....

that said, something like this is fine to "hook" it.
DGX DIR Knife and Titanium Shears w/ Waistbelt Sheath

Someone makes a plastic stick with a notch in it that you can slide onto the webbing, but I can't remember who it is. The standard "DIR" knife or similar works fine to hook it though

If you've got a long(ish) torso, the loop on a 7' hose can have a tendency to come untucked if there is no light can or other thing on the belt to hold it in place. I find this happens occasionally with my 7' hose, so I just get in the habit of checking it and retucking...no biggie. If that bugs you, here are two alternatives. First, you can get a pocket to put on your belt, that'll help hold the hose in place. I'v also heard of folks making a dummy light can out of PVC, seems like an unecessary accoutrement to me though. Alternatively, maybe consider an 8' hose. I bought one for my recreational regular (my shop didn't have a 7' in stock). I actually like the 8' better. The loop under my belt is longer and almost never comes loose.

Apeks make a specific LH retainer. However, for less money I use an Aqualung Sqeeze-lock knife as it secures the hose nicely and works well as one of my two cutting tools.

I have Titanium Shears so I’ll try that approach. :)

As mentioned above, keeping the belt tight also helps. I tend to expand my stomach, breathing from the gut instead of the top of my lungs. As such, I like to keep my belt a little looser.

Apeks make a specific LH retainer. However, for less money I use an Aqualung Sqeeze-lock knife as it secures the hose nicely and works well as one of my two cutting tools.
I’ll look into those also !

Waterproof canister for car keys,money,phone etc where the battery canister would be.....
Or, a cheap piece of PVC......but, it must be black. Never forget that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom