Safety check my idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...if you had a way to dis-connect the hoses from the exhaust port with a good tug, then if you become over-exerted at depth, you just revert back to normal exhaust.
I think that's a great comment for safety. Rather than zip-tying the hoses onto the reg, keep them easily detachable. Currently they're held on only by friction, but a bayonet fitting might be a good compromise between staying secure and also being easily detachable.

what if you strapped a couple of snorkels to the exhaust ports and ran them on either side of your mask like big 18-wheeler exhaust towers? That would be freaking cool.

Just out of curiosity, does water get into your corrugated exhaust hose in between exhales?

My thought regarding the flow of exhalation is that air expelled from the regulator pushes water out of the hoses through the holes both by the tank, but also via the slots cut in the bottom of the hoses. This seems to work, but is definitely an area that could be optimized to reduce exhalation pressure as much as possible.

That does increase your work of exhale. Your lungs do some of the work clearing the water.

But, its your regulator 2nd stage that is causing your the bubbles in your face, why I dive an older Apeks TX50. One of the very few regulators that completely routs the bubbles away from your face. very large exhaust port and exhaust T

1659120124838.png

Hello scuba community. I'm looking for advice, and information on the practicality of a "solution" to divert the exhaled bubbles from the second stage to behind my back for a more critter friendly underwater photography experience.

A little background on my situation, my "fix", and why I want to do this. I've recently gotten into underwater photography and am aware of the intimidating effect the sound, and look, of suddenly exhaled bubbles from my second stage has on underwater critters. The bubbles from under my chin also provide an annoyance of slightly obstructing my view when I'm in a vertical position, but that annoyance is only secondary.

I have come across vintage dual/double hose regulators and love the idea of the exhaled bubbles being diverted via a hose to behind the head. I'm thinking of the possibility of retrofitting my modern second stage regulator (Apeks XTX200) into some similar design and came up with this idea. I would attach two flexible hoses to each side of the exhaust tee, with the hoses leading up over my shoulders and into some sort of "bubble diffuser" attached somewhere behind my head (on the tank or first stage). This diffuser would really just be some sort of fast flowing container with a fine mesh or brillow pad sort of opening to break up the larger bubbles into smaller ones to release gas as more of a fizz fashion.

I do also have a few concerns with this setup would be how this setup might change the proper function of the modern designed second stage.
  1. I worry about the possibility of easier/constant free flows while on the surface or underwater in a vertical or horizontal position.
  2. I'm concerned about exhaled gas collecting or being backed up in the hoses and possible cause be "rebreathing" my exhaled gas.
  3. How would the hoses, my diving orientation, and positioning of the diffuser affect water pressure down at the exhaust tee where the hoses connect?
  4. Would water within the hoses be forced into my mouth back through the exhaust tee as I breath, as the tee is already in contact with the watery environment in regular use (without any add ons of coarse)?
Lots of diving water pressure physics that need to be worked out here I know, but I trust scubaboards' expert knowledge and opinions.

Many thanks in advance.
Erik

You are not the first. You might want to check out this thread and continue the discussion there since much of it has been covered already ...

I'll merge this thread with the the one @-JD- has posted.

I'm going rebreather, as soon as I have the experience to do so.

But I don't have any 8ssues with a simple bubble gutter. Rock on.

Wouldn't one of the double hose regulators solve your problem?

The OP (safety check one) had the right idea with the hoses open near the second stage, SP did this with the video exhaust
9BBA8BD0-5739-4C8C-9BE2-5C955CD8E682.jpeg
A83B8665-E004-4E50-A3CB-3EEA5E64A0AE.jpeg

this idea should work.

I'd probably look into a vintage double hoser or something like that vs this home brew solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom