Safety in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CraigDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

On travelling in Europe I have came across different levels of training required BEFORE being let loose in open water.

I personally have been trained by BSAC in Scotland to what, in my own opinion, to be a very high standard compared to some of my European counterparts.

What I would like to know is how does training compare in the USA, Canada etc. to Europe.

It how the instructor teaches the material more than the agency in reguards to the quality of class.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
It how the instructor teaches the material more than the agency in reguards to the quality of class.

Being a complete novice (only 50 dives), I would have presumed that in any orginisation there would be a policing of instructors to ensure a consistent level of training.

I have been taught thoroughly rescue skills from a very early stage in my diving. I feel this should be the same with all orgainsations. However, I am aware that you can go quite far with PADI (Advanced open water) without touching on any rescue skills - I believe this is wrong.

They train divers in Europe?

theskull

(Only joking--I have met many wonderful Europeans at Dive Outpost in Luraville, taking and teaching cave classes.)

theskull:
They train divers in Europe?

theskull

(Only joking--I have met many wonderful Europeans at Dive Outpost in Luraville, taking and teaching cave classes.)

Europe is quite large (700 million population spread between 46 countries).

There does seem to be different standards of training throught these countries.

theskull - I know you were joking however a valid observation!

CraigDiver:
Europe is quite large (700 million population spread between 46 countries).

There does seem to be different standards of training throught these countries.

theskull - I know you were joking however a valid observation!

Of course! I see very different standards of training when I walk from one side of the quarry to the other! Or from the bow of the boat to the stern between 2 different classes!

Fortunately, recreational SCUBA is a very safe and forgiving sport on the whole, and nearly everyone survives even the biggest errors.

theskull

I agree with to comment it depends more on the instructor than the agency.

There isn't much policing the Agency could do on the instructors, but the instructor knows he has to teach correctly or he could face a mighty law suit later.

www.scubamazing.com:
I agree with to comment it depends more on the instructor than the agency.

And the agency gets paid, why?
There isn't much policing the Agency could do on the instructors, but the instructor knows he has to teach correctly or he could face a mighty law suit later.

Define "correctly" please.

I'm not sure what you mean by no rescue training in PADI at levels up to AOW. Basic manuvers such as sharing air and assisted ascent are part of basic OW training.

Specific rescue training that includes CPR and first aid are part of the Rescue diver certification and are a little more advanced. More challenging rescues are taught there too, such as paniced diver skills. I'm not sure that most recreational divers use skills often enough to make effective rescuers and at an early level of diving (number of dives more than certification) they may get into more trouble than they correct.

Two dead divers is worse than one.

Charlie59:
I'm not sure what you mean by no rescue training in PADI at levels up to AOW. Basic manuvers such as sharing air and assisted ascent are part of basic OW training.

Specific rescue training that includes CPR and first aid are part of the Rescue diver certification and are a little more advanced. More challenging rescues are taught there too, such as paniced diver skills. I'm not sure that most recreational divers use skills often enough to make effective rescuers and at an early level of diving (number of dives more than certification) they may get into more trouble than they correct.

Two dead divers is worse than one.

My OW course included a day in the pool of basic rescue work and a 1/2 day doing tows and rescues in open water. As before, it comes down the the instructor. Mine felt skills like buoyancy, trim, dive planning and basic rescue were more important than fin pivots and ditch and dons. I still thank him for that, to this day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom