Safety issue just surfaced for LEO's and PSD's.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For those of you that drive, work around, have access to or know departments that have the new Ford Police Interceptors (2003 & newer) read on.

We have had a couple of dirt bags kick out the side windows on the newer CVPI’s but last night I saw a booted rear window first hand.

The guys have been talking about the windows not breaking and just coming out of the frame like a bus window. Well, that wasn’t quite right.

The window is in fact coming partially out of the frame when kicked but it is staying together and not shattering like a normal side window.

Why? Laminated glass. Just like the windshield it is two panes of glass with plastic sandwiched between them.

This makes for a stronger harder to get out of glass enclosure for the dirt bags but the glass is all the way around the car.

Should one of these cars become submerged our punches will not work on the glass. It is going to be identical to trying to get through a windshield which is tough enough on the land.
So we need to advise everyone with these cars to be careful. If anyone has a good idea as to how to effectively and realistically defeat these windows pass it on.

They are easy to recognize. Read the label in the corner of the window. If it says “Tempered” it’s normal. If it says “Laminated” it has the plastic liner.

Remember, this glass is breaking in long sharp pieces that can and will cut anything it can. It's not like the hundreds of tiny pieces that tempered glass produces.

Gary D.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll mention this at our upcoming training... always good to be prepared!

K

CVPI are not the only ones with laminated side glass, there are several high end cars that have an option for laminated glass.

firemedic1015:
Gary,

Tha best option for cutting laminate underwater would be a "glass master saw" Most fire departments should have one of these for vehicle rescue. It is typicaly used to cut the windshield so the roof can be removed. Here is a link to a site that shows it: http://www.firesafetyequipment.net/ViewItem.asp?ID=513
Thanks FM. I'll ask around and try one UW to see how easy they work. Pricey little suckers but isn't all this stuff?

I have seen these used before but we will have to try them out first. Hopefully we can get stable enough to use it. I'm sure it will work with some practice.

Thanks a bunch.

Gary D.

You'll still need to chop a hole in the glass to get the saw in - this would be very difficult underwater (plus the actual cutting on top of that). I think finding some way to pry the whole panel out would be faster u/w
As a FF/medic I think laminate glass all around is a bad idea. Extrication problems on land would be bad enough - lots of glass dust to inhale too (on land)

bridgediver:
I think laminate glass all around is a bad idea. Extrication problems on land would be bad enough - lots of glass dust to inhale too (on land)
I couldn't agree more.

I'm working on an air ram that can plug right into a tank. It will grab the edge of the door and cut right through the glass with air pressure. It's looking good on the drawing board so far.

Gary D.

try this Gary cheap air hammer with a body tool for the bit. You will have to use a cheap one thou thay do not require as high of CFM as a high end one. Maybe I'll run down to the scrap yard and bust up some stuff. gotta love that!! I'll let ya know how it works out

Gary D.:
I couldn't agree more.

I'm working on an air ram that can plug right into a tank. It will grab the edge of the door and cut right through the glass with air pressure. It's looking good on the drawing board so far.

Gary D.

sounds really good... let me know how it works out, please

Well my idea was a bust took a full steel 72 to get the front winsheld out. and a lot of time like 15 min and a huge mess the tank would have worked better

Back
Top Bottom