Safety on the Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emergency return to the boat signal?

Something I have been thinking about lately is how does the boat recall other divers if there is a serious issue early in the dive? I do not think I have ever had any procedure explained to me in the dive briefing.

Come to think of it, neither have I. As a newbie DM this is something I must be aware of and ask about. Odd that I've not seen this point mentioned on SB.

It is a common part of the pre-dive briefing here to show us the emergency recall by repeatedly banging a weight on the hull, and it is loud. They tell us that if we hear that sound, we need to end our dive as safely as possible. They will often go on to say that does not mean that we rush up to the boat, we ascend at a safe rate and complete any stops that we think are necessary.

I didn't realize the emergency recall is not common practice.

It is a common part of the pre-dive briefing here to show us the emergency recall by repeatedly banging a weight on the hull, and it is loud. They tell us that if we hear that sound, we need to end our dive as safely as possible. They will often go on to say that does not mean that we rush up to the boat, we ascend at a safe rate and complete any stops that we think are necessary.

Down here most of us will rev the engines repeatedly over and over. "VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM" "VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM" If you ever hear a boat doing that, you can bet that is what they are trying to communicate. Its pretty obvious there is a problem when you hear it. I dont like to beat on my hull with a weight. I need it to hold water to take me back home :)

the emergency recall

The only place I've ever heard it mentioned is here on scubaboard. In more than 10 years of diving, it's never been mentioned by any dive operation I've dived with. I'd guess that 99% of divers have never even heard the subject before.

I have been on about a dozen or so dive boats (I agree this number is low compared to other posters) and have never had a briefing that included an emergency recall procedure. However, I will ask on the next one.

BTW - this post is exactly the reason I come to Scubaboard, to discuss things I haven't ever considered before.

The charters I've been on not including this are from: Nova Scotia, S.C., FL(3), TX and Panama.

Stick a pipe into the water and hit it with a hammer, or toss a cherry bomb.

I have gotten the emergency recall briefing on several boats here in Southern Ontario - primarily Tobermory, Brockville and Kingston. I thought it was commonplace. I guess we need to start asking what happens in an emergency if they don't tell us first.

Virtually all my diving is in warm tropical waters (yeah, I'm a warm water wuss and proud of it :) I've been on dozens of boats and not one comes to mind that included an all in signal. Gunning the engine would be fine as long as there are not 5 dive boats lined up over your dive site and you briefed the divers to listen for it prior to starting the dive. I like the idea of dropping a bar and whacking it. Demonstrate it on first dive as soon as everyone is under water so they know the pitch of your "recall signal". That could be used even with other boats in the area, just pick a somewhat unique pitch. Wookie, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter, thanks

Virtually all my diving is in warm tropical waters (yeah, I'm a warm water wuss and proud of it :) I've been on dozens of boats and not one comes to mind that included an all in signal. Gunning the engine would be fine as long as there are not 5 dive boats lined up over your dive site and you briefed the divers to listen for it prior to starting the dive. I like the idea of dropping a bar and whacking it. Demonstrate it on first dive as soon as everyone is under water so they know the pitch of your "recall signal". That could be used even with other boats in the area, just pick a somewhat unique pitch. Wookie, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter, thanks

Well, our recall is banging on the hull with a sledgehammer while revving an engine. But, I don't brief it. What I have gotten out of this thread is that if you don't brief everything, some folks miss out. Of course, my briefings are already too long and cumbersome. I guess that's why they are....

My son and I were diving with Key Dives this past week for a couple of days, the briefings included the emergency recall (bang on the ladder).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom