Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is the safety sausage considered an important piece of equipment to have?? I don't dive a lot of areas where there is high boat traffic so would it be worth buying?? I do have a dive float but it doesn't get used much for the reason I don't dive in a high boat traffic area.....

I keep one attached to my bc at all times, but they are mostly recommended for boat trips where you might resurface a long distance from the boat. Especially important if there are waves...

astrl

I have a friend who surface pretty far from the dive boat(drift diving). He was wearing a black dry suit and hood it took the dive boat 40 minutes to find him and the waves were only between 2 and 3 feet high. So now he always carry a sausage with him wherever he dive.

Hmmm, a little movie "Open Water" comes to mind........

My wife and I both have the Seaquest SOS's - they attach to the lower rear dumpvalve of our Seaquest BCD's. We don't have to worry about them - they are always with us.

I have never had to use it, but would not dive without it.

If you are diving anywhere that you may surface away from your exit point and need someone a ways off to see you, then you should have it.

I believe they are essential and never dive without one.

Don't get the flimsy little short and thin ones. You want a long one that is well-sized and bright orange or yellow. Remember, it's main purpose is to attract attention - you don't want people to have to work at finding you!

Firediver:
Is the safety sausage considered an important piece of equipment to have?? I don't dive a lot of areas where there is high boat traffic so would it be worth buying?? I do have a dive float but it doesn't get used much for the reason I don't dive in a high boat traffic area.....

Don't leave home without it. (I've forgotten which company used that as their advertising slogan, but you get the idea.)

It is highly recommended to have one, I view it as important as my 1st and 2nd stage. Don't leave home without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom