Safety stop feature request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If I recall correctly, Teric allows a choice of either 3 or 5 minutes fixed duration safety stops. I would love to be able to set safety stop that’s variable in duration but fixed in terms of safety margin below m-value, ie surface gf.

Say I were to set gf hi/low to 99/99 for max NDL, I want to be able to set a safety stop of surface gf not exceeding 75 an let Teric tell me the ceiling and duration of the safety stop.

If I recall correctly, Teric allows a choice of either 3 or 5 minutes fixed duration safety stops. I would love to be able to set safety stop that’s variable in duration but fixed in terms of safety margin below m-value, ie surface gf.

Say I were to set gf hi/low to 99/99 for max NDL, I want to be able to set a safety stop of surface gf not exceeding 75 an let Teric tell me the ceiling and duration of the safety stop.

wtf? why would you ever do that?

There would be no ceiling if you did not exceed your GF high. The time to decrease the SurfGF to your chosen point would depend on your SS depth

There would be no ceiling if you did not exceed your GF high. The time to decrease the SurfGF to your chosen point would depend on your SS depth

Say gf hi/low of 99/99 and safety of surface gf 75. There would be a safety stop ceiling, say take usual safety stop depth if 5m, once surface gf goes above 75. This is a safety stop ceiling, not a deco ceiling that would only result after going over gf hi.

wtf? why would you ever do that?
To be able to maximise NDL (gf hi/lo 99/99), and to be able to set safety in terms of surface gf which essentially is what tech divers do with their gf hi setting cos they are coming from m-value plus down to their gf hi setting before surfacing.

To be able to maximise NDL (gf hi/lo 99/99), and to be able to set safety in terms of surface gf which essentially is what tech divers do with their gf hi setting cos they are coming from m-value plus down to their gf hi setting before surfacing.

so just dive with a GF high of 75 and watch the TTS clock and go into deco or change your GF hi once you hit safety stop and chill out for a while. Pay attention to SurfGF works too.
I'm lazy, I just set the GF to what I want to dive, and dive as long as I want to. Pay attention to TTS and when I see deco getting to be close to where I know I'll be far too bored, then I surface...

Use your SurGF. EDIT: It drops about 1.5-2 min per minute on a no-stop dive. So if you're diving 99/99, but showing SurGF 80, plan on an 8 min safety stop to get it to 75.

But for me it's rare to get past the 70's, even on a deep dive.

so just dive with a GF high of 75 and watch the TTS clock and go into deco or change your GF hi once you hit safety stop and chill out for a while.
I'm presuming the OP wants to dive 99/99 to maximize his NDL, then chill out until he's happy with his GF. I do the same thing.

It's cheating, a little, if you're diving near the edge of NDL. But it's one safe way to not break the boat rule about not going into deco.

Your SS depth can be whatever you choose it to be, 15 feet is commonly used, it could just as easily be 10 or 20 feet.

Whether you do a no stop dive or a light deco dive, you can choose to hang out and decrease your SurfGF to whatever value you want. The time to decrease your SurfGF will be dictated by your actual depth.

Edit: sorry, this was adequately addressed while I typed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom