Safety stop feature request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or just watch the surfGF and ascend whenever you like the value you see, however long it takes.
Which is kinda like what I'm doing now, but for gas management info about length of stop would be useful. I've had 9 mins safety before to get back below surface gf of 75.

If I recall correctly, Teric allows a choice of either 3 or 5 minutes fixed duration safety stops. I would love to be able to set safety stop that’s variable in duration but fixed in terms of safety margin below m-value, ie surface gf.

Say I were to set gf hi/low to 99/99 for max NDL, I want to be able to set a safety stop of surface gf not exceeding 75 an let Teric tell me the ceiling and duration of the safety stop.

Is that not how you can use the gf high.. max allowed gf. As I understand you question you can already do what you want with gf99 and gf surf. It would be nice if the SS was controled by gf hi and when gf surf is calculated to be less than gf hi. At that point you would head up. I think what you are asking is in the future and not the distant future. I am doing ss stops in that manor now . I am experimenting with using gf99 to determine the SS depth if its 20 fine if its 12 fine. then when gf surf drops below my safety consrervitism level i head up. as far as the teric goes I have no experience with it. It does seem strange that is it is not like the other shearwaters of SS selections of off 3 5 or dynamic. it would be nice if in addition you had surf gf as an additional option. If you had a conservatism of med then gf hi would be 85 and the puter would tell you you cleared SS when your surf GF dropped below 85. if that happens in 2 minutes then great. you are on the rope first to get out.

Reactions: CWK
Your SS depth can be whatever you choose it to be, 15 feet is commonly used, it could just as easily be 10 or 20 feet.

Whether you do a no stop dive or a light deco dive, you can choose to hang out and decrease your SurfGF to whatever value you want. The time to decrease your SurfGF will be dictated by your actual depth.

Edit: sorry, this was adequately addressed while I typed

Isnt that what he is wanting. wanting to stop using the rule of thumb of 3 and 5 minutes and instead use live data. if he goes to 100 feet for 3 minutes and then goes to the surface . rule of thumb says 5 min SS because you exceeded 60 ft. Usint gf's is what we can use to stop using square profile SS determination rules of thumb.

I'm presuming the OP wants to dive 99/99 to maximize his NDL, then chill out until he's happy with his GF. I do the same thing.

It's cheating, a little, if you're diving near the edge of NDL. But it's one safe way to not break the boat rule about not going into deco.
Precisely. You understand what I'm trying to do.

As a trained tec diver, I'm happy to dive to m-value plus and surface once my surface gf goes down below my hi gf setting. As a trained tec diver doing rec diving, I have no qualms diving to m-value and surfacing based on surface gf. All I want the computer to do is to show me the safety stop info.

I can set my computer to tec mode 75/75 and as long as I do not exceed surface gf of 100, I am not in a deco dive and the computer will show me the duration of the stop required. But this is shown as a deco stop which is not kosher in recreational diving.

What I am trying to do is to:
1. Maximise NDL.
2. Set safety stop based on surface gf, just as I do in tec diving.
3. Get info on length of safety required to get surface gf below my target surface gf for gas management purpose.

If you do not exceed your NDL, you can go directly to the surface and not exceed GF high. No SS, nothing. You can choose to stop and decrease your SurfGF to whatever you desire.

Use your SurGF. It takes about 1.5-2 min per percent to drop it on a no-stop dive. So if you're diving 99/99, but showing SurGF 80, plan on an 8 min safety stop to get it to 75.

But for me it's rare to get past the 70's, even on a deep dive.
I've hit surface gf of 99 a couple of times. Would be nice if the computer could show safety stop info based on surface gf.

If you do not exceed your NDL, you can go directly to the surface and not exceed GF high. No SS, nothing. You can choose to stop and decrease your SurfGF to whatever you desire.
You can always choose to skip a safety stop. You can indeed stop to decrease your surface gf. Hopefully one day, recreational mode will allow me to set safety based on gradient factors or surface gf, just as tech divers set their safety by choosing their gf hi.

so just dive with a GF high of 75 and watch the TTS clock and go into deco or change your GF hi once you hit safety stop and chill out for a while. Pay attention to SurfGF works too.
I'm lazy, I just set the GF to what I want to dive, and dive as long as I want to. Pay attention to TTS and when I see deco getting to be close to where I know I'll be far too bored, then I surface...
There are indeed ways to go round it such as tech mode 75/75 and use deco info, which is really safety if you do not exceed m-value. But in a recreational setting it is not permissible to have your computer show deco.

Run some sample dives on Subsurface with your SAC and GF99/75. Find out predicted gas consumption with varying depths and SS lengths.

Come up with a gas requirement based on Time to Surface. For me, it's about 1.2 CuFt/min TTS, decreasing a bit with deeper dives. Add your safety factor, and maybe double it if you want enough gas for your OOA buddy, and you have a rock bottom model that is based on GF.

Takes a little playing on the computer, but it solves your issue completely. During the dive, track your evolving TTS based on 99/99. Add the extra SS minutes that are required to get you to 75. That's your revised TTS.

Revised TTS x 1.2 = my required gas reserve in CF not including safety margins. YMMV.

I dive my Teric at a GF high of 95, to approximately match a computer running DSAT. I frequently end with a SurfGF in the 90s and do a safety stop long enough to drop it to the mid 80s

Of course, many dives end with a lower SurfGF and this maneuver is not necessary

Back
Top Bottom