Safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc,

could you clarify what you meant in the last sentence of this paragraph. My understanding is that the soda will bubble because of the sudden drop in pressure when you open the bottle. Is this not the case?

Thanks.

Dr Deco:

As a demonstration, one can see this when the top is slowly unscrewed from a bottle of carbonated beverage versus rapidly removing it. The first case produces few bubbles in the liquid and the second produces many. The effect is NOT produced by “decompressing” the beverage in the sense that the dissolved gas is released and exits the liquid in one method and not in the other.
Dr Deco.
:doctor:

tstiemerling:
Doc,

could you clarify what you meant in the last sentence of this paragraph. My understanding is that the soda will bubble because of the sudden drop in pressure when you open the bottle. Is this not the case?

Thanks.

well... soda "bubbles" because of the sudden pressure differential, which causes the gas to come ouf of solution
(i.e. bubbles)

the "rate" at which you introduce the pressure differential (i.e. how slowly you open the bottle) can greatly reduce the bubbling by "slowing" down off-gassing.

same principle in coming up slowly and doing safety stops:
you "slow down" the offgassing and prevent bubbling.

H2Andy:
well... soda "bubbles" because of the sudden pressure differential, which causes the gas to come ouf of solution
(i.e. bubbles)

the "rate" at which you introduce the pressure differential (i.e. how slowly you open the bottle) can greatly reduce the bubbling by "slowing" down off-gassing.

same principle in coming up slowly and doing safety stops:
you "slow down" the offgassing and prevent bubbling.

And if you shake it up first you really get bubbles.

you have to drop the sucker to really get it going :wink:

Thanks. Maybe you can explain to me why the soda bubbles when you release the pressure suddenly rather than slowly. I dont remember much of my high school physics!

Tom

H2Andy:
well... soda "bubbles" because of the sudden pressure differential, which causes the gas to come ouf of solution (i.e. bubbles)

Hello tstiemerling:

When I wrote, “The effect is NOT produced by “decompressing” the beverage in the sense that the dissolved gas is released and exits the liquid in one method and not in the other,” what I had in mind was this. Decompression in a human diver consists of a slow reduction in the pressure along with a loss of dissolved nitrogen by the circulatory system and the lungs. When the diver reaches surface pressure, most of the dissolved nitrogen is gone from the body tissues.

Opening a bottle of carbonated beverage slowly is not decompression in the sense that there is just as much carbon dioxide in the liquid before you opened the cap as afterwards. Whether one bottle fizzes and the other does not can only be attributed to something else than removal of carbon dioxide. The “something” is the size of the micronuclei. A quick removal of the cap allows the nuclei to rapidly expand by Boyle’s law. Carbon dioxide rapidly enters and the bubbles are now stabilized at this new enlarged radius.

In the case of a carbonated beverage, the soda will go “flat” because the gas bubbles rise to the surface and are lost. [If the bottle is quickly recapped, he bubbles “quiet down” and the liquid retains its effervescent quality.]

Now, while bubbles will form in both the diver and the soda pop, those in the soda will rise and be lost. Those in the diver remain in the tissues and will grow even more as dissolved nitrogen continues to enter.

You could see an even closer parallel if you were to unscrew the soda bottle cap at depth. (Carbonated beverages are at about 4 or 5 atm [absolute], about 90 fsw [absolute]). If the bottle were then slowly brought up, it would not effervesce much.

The opposite parallel is to bring a diver up quickly and unscrew his head. :11: [Not really]

Dr Deco :doctor:

hopefully someone more qualified than me will explain better, but the basic idea is
as follows:

1. when gas is under pressure, it has less volume. thus, you can squeeze a TON of
gas into a one-square-inch little box.

2. when the gas is no longer under pressure, it tries to get out of that little box as
fast as possible, even if it means "exploding" and blowing the little box to smithereens.

3. if you SLOWLY decrease the pressure, the gas has more time to escape and not
do nasty things like bubble or blow things up.

4. If you QUICKLY decrease the pressure, the gas does nasty things like bubble and
blow things up.

I love when posting dates have this kind of progression:

02-13-2002, 04:28 PM
04-17-2004, 04:26 AM

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom