Safety Whistle vs Signaling Mirror Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry both. When doing a drift dive, I think the added safety is worth it. If you cary the whistle for 500 dives and only need it once you'll be glad you have it. As far as trying to be streamlined, carry it in your pocket if you think it is going to cause that much drag. JMO.

Thanks for the link, cave diver. Interesting discussions in that thread about some of the equipment. I will say, I think the ranking is based on someone's subjective opinion but it's still a great discussion and a good list.

My signal whistle and my safety mirror (DAN) are attached to the bottom of my DSMB, as is a finger spool. When diving in open water I clip the ensemble to the rear D-ring of my crotch strap. No muss, no fuss, and it is all there if I need it.

I carry a whistle, a safety sausage and if conditions really rough, my air horn on my LP power inflator. A mirror is good, if the sun is orientated in the right direction (you could bounce light with your mask and your mirror, with your eyes closed - tricky at best).

I have had to use the whistle once, with a paniced drifiting diver behind the boat, way past the tag line, in rough seas. My buddy was on the transom of the boat, looking for us. The whistle got his attention fast, swimming the tag line off the boat reel to him, securing him, then me. Nasty day.....consider the whistle at a minimum.

DAN's SMB has a great set-up: it also sold with a storm whistle, mirror and glow-stick, which can be mounted on top of the SMB. I carry it in a storage sleeve, which I have secured on the bottom of my backplate. It occupies no extra room; is super-unobtrusive and low-profile; but also easy to access when needed. I think DAN markets it as a 'Surface Signal Kit'. Check it out.

Thanks for the link, cave diver. Interesting discussions in that thread about some of the equipment. I will say, I think the ranking is based on someone's subjective opinion but it's still a great discussion and a good list.

While the opinion may have been subjective, is was from the view of someone who has trained for and done such airborne searches. Subjective, yes, but his point of view has more value to me, than say subjective opinions from say my dive buddy, or local lds staff.

I kind of like the idea that those guys and gals can can see me if I do find myself drifting along the gulf stream someday. IJS.

Yesterday we were diving in a fog. Visibility on the surface was about 50 yards. An SMB or mirror would not have been of much use. Choppy waves and heavy rain can also reduce visibility to the point that such devices cannot be seen.

As the article linked by CD says:

Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

No one device is ideal in all circumstances. Mirror, LARGE SMG, and signaling light or strobe is a good combo, that covers various conditions.

Yesterday we were diving in a fog. Visibility on the surface was about 50 yards. An SMB or mirror would not have been of much use. Choppy waves and heavy rain can also reduce visibility to the point that such devices cannot be seen.

Would a Signal Alert or whistle been effective? I carry both as I'm not sure my whistle could be heard over the ship's engines over a sustained period.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom