Saguaro and Organ Pipe National Parks - Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the Brunch at Loew's Ventana Canyon if you get time. It may only be weekends though.

Actually check their room prices for your dates, sometimes they offer unbelievable deals. The service there is memorable.

We just walk into Pima Air Museum and buy tickets at the counter - was last there shortly after the SR-71 was installed. They also have some sort of discount with the Titan museum but I haven't done that.

You can see some of the Boneyard by driving on a couple of the major streets that cut through Davis-Monthan. Can't really stop for pictures though - it is a real airbase.

One thing you may notice about Tucson at night is that it's pretty dark. It's because of Kitt Peak. If you go during the day about the only "telescope" open is the solar observatory. I believe only groups can get a tour at night when they're working and you have to go early - they don't want headlighhts shining up the hill.
My b-i-l is an amateur astronomer - he's done it with their club.

I lived in Tucson for 7 years and get back fairly frequently, including a 3-month stint a couple years back. All of the prior suggestions are great. Here are my picks:

1. I especially concur with the recommendation for the Sonoran Desert Museum--it's a great way to get oriented to the plants and animals you will see, and a lot you won't otherwise.

2. Sabino Canyon is cool and shady, especially in the mornings, and there is a tram, so you can actually do this whether you can hike it or not--it's easy enough for some to hike while others don't. Not far from this is Inca's Peruvian Cuisine, which I really like for lunch after exploring the canyon.

3. The boneyard (Pima Air and Space Museum) is great fun if you like aviation--my husband is hugely into this, so I have learned to love the planes too.

4. I would add the Mission San Xavier del Bac if you have time. It's south of Tucson, so you might be passing near it depending on your route.

5. The drive up Mount Lemmon to Summerhaven (in the Catalina Mountains on the north edge of the city) is also great if you want to cool down at higher elevation. Lots of picnic areas and scenic pull-offs on the way up.

My favorite places in the world to eat are Cafe Poca Cosa and El Charro, both downtown and classic Tucson places. If you go to El Charro and aren't a vegetatarian, definitely try the carne seca. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom