sailboat headed for exploratory dives in southern Bimini Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saildiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Fairfield, Iowa, USA-and on our sailboat Mana-Ni-W
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has any one been to the southern Bimini Islands-the maps I've been looking at don't show much for good anchorages.We have a 23 FT sailboat that we frequently dive off with a center board (draft is 19"when up) with oversized anchors-and are used to anchoring in close in rough conditions when diving off Islands. We've never been there before-but have heard the diving is great. If any one has been there,please let us know what the anchoring is like in the most southern Islands. Also,whats the diving like-currents,corals,depths,fishlife,etc? We plan on spending about 2 weeks if the diving and weather holds. Thanks a bunch......Peace....Saildivers.

There are several nautical charts (paper & electronic) available as well as cruising guides. You have to combine all the sources, as one usually doesn't have all the info you need.

This place is a great resource: http://www.bluewaterweb.com/

FYI, we spent 2 years in the Bahamas aboard our 43' Hunter running sail/dive charters. Just to give you a little background. :wink:

Fair winds & calm seas,

Bimini Undersea and Blackbeard's (and others) have funded permanent moorings in the Bimini area for diving. While they have first rights, they encourage others to use their moorings when they aren't, to protect the reefs from anchor damage.
Check the Bimini Undersea site for more information.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Bimini Undersea and Blackbeard's (and others) have funded permanent moorings in the Bimini area for diving. While they have first rights, they encourage others to use their moorings when they aren't, to protect the reefs from anchor damage.
Rick

Good info Rick! Sounds like what Cat Ppalau did in Exuma Sound. :thumb:

Rick Murchison:
Rick
Hey Rick-thanks for the feedback,however,most of the bouys,as I'm aware,are in the northern Biminis-we wanted to go into the more virgin diving areas to the south.Anyone who has been there please get back to us-we can't be the first one's crazy enough to attempt this....Peace....Saildiver.

Saildiver:
Thanks Submariner-we've got plenty of charts -just wondered what it looked like down in the southern Biminis-have you been there,anchored, dove?

Just to wet your appetite, take a look here: http://www.thebahamasguide.com/islands/index.html. It'll give you some decent overall info on the Bahamas. You can click on the links to any of the various chains within the Bahamas themselves such as the Biminis, Abacos, etc.

We usually made landfall & cleared Customs/Immigration at Cat Cay (one of smaller islands in the Biminis) because allowing for set & drift from the Gulf Stream, it was actually the "shortest direct route" to the Bahamas; about 60 NM if memory serves.

The Islands are typical of most in the Bahamas: not very much above sea level. Scrubby casuarina and the like near the shore. Holding can be anything from straight sand to sand & marl in the Bahamas, so I hope you have a Bruce (or similar) on board as well as a Davenport or Plow. Bahamian moooring (two anchors) is sometimes called for in the areas where there is a strong tidal flow.

To be honest, we didn't dive the Bimini area much, preferring instead to do the Abacos, Exumas, etc. So I can't comment on the diving there.

A serious note: make sure you get to Bimini (etc.) during daylight. Although several navigational aids are noted on many of the charts & cruising guides, they are not always in working order! (This is the Bahamas, mon.) Also, reading the water is (obviously) much easier to with adequate light. Just thought I'd pass that along to you.

Fair winds & flat seas,

SubMariner:
Just to wet your appetite, take a look here: http://www.thebahamasguide.com/islands/index.html. It'll give you some decent overall info on the Bahamas. You can click on the links to any of the various chains within the Bahamas themselves such as the Biminis, Abacos, etc.

We usually made landfall & cleared Customs/Immigration at Cat Cay (one of smaller islands in the Biminis) because allowing for set & drift from the Gulf Stream, it was actually the "shortest direct route" to the Bahamas; about 60 NM if memory serves.

The Islands are typical of most in the Bahamas: not very much above sea level. Scrubby casuarina and the like near the shore. Holding can be anything from straight sand to sand & marl in the Bahamas, so I hope you have a Bruce (or similar) on board as well as a Davenport or Plow. Bahamian moooring (two anchors) is sometimes called for in the areas where there is a strong tidal flow.

To be honest, we didn't dive the Bimini area much, preferring instead to do the Abacos, Exumas, etc. So I can't comment on the diving there.

A serious note: make sure you get to Bimini (etc.) during daylight. Although several navigational aids are noted on many of the charts & cruising guides, they are not always in working order! (This is the Bahamas, mon.) Also, reading the water is (obviously) much easier to with adequate light. Just thought I'd pass that along to you.

Fair winds & flat seas,
Thanks Submariner-already have the Bahamas Guide,anchors and techniques down-I guess not many have dove down there the way we're planning to-any one who has-feel free to throw in your two cents...saildiver.

saildiver:
Has any one been to the southern Bimini Islands-the maps I've been looking at don't show much for good anchorages.We have a 23 FT sailboat that we frequently dive off with a center board (draft is 19"when up) with oversized anchors-and are used to anchoring in close in rough conditions when diving off Islands. We've never been there before-but have heard the diving is great. If any one has been there,please let us know what the anchoring is like in the most southern Islands. Also,whats the diving like-currents,corals,depths,fishlife,etc? We plan on spending about 2 weeks if the diving and weather holds. Thanks a bunch......Peace....Saildivers.

Are you talking about diving Victory Reef, Tuna Alley and the Wall (continental shelf)?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom