Salary for part time (weekend) instructors in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the well known stereotypes of the schools around there?

elmo6s:
As for tuition - does the residency really kick in before you graduate? That would be awesome if I payed resident rates by the 3rd or 4th year...

http://www.registrar.ucsb.edu/residenc.htm

Is the residency policy of UCSB and I believe it is the same for all UC's. Thalassamania is correct and I was wrong: You should come to California for 366 days and have utility bills, etc before the first day of class at a UC if you plan on going there to avoid nonresident tuition. Otherwise, any day you are in class does not count (if I read the rules correctly) toward the year long prior physical presence clause.

Also, looking at section 3, unless your parents don't claim you as a dependent, you look to be shafted unless you have a relative / guardian living out here.

**EDIT** oops, should have read the 2 previous posts with this link...

elmo6s:
Keep the info on colleges coming guys, I really appreciate it! I had never really thought of UCSB until you guys mentioned it! Any opinions good or bad on the California schools are much appreciated! How is the party life? How are the classes? Good dorms? Etc!

Alex

I'm not sure if you've heard, but UCSB is pretty infamous for its party scene. Most upperclassmen live in Isla Vista, the community right next to campus. We have a beachside street called Del Playa...parties from Thurs night to Saturday Night. Halloween is awesome, with 40-50000 people going around. It can get extremely crowded. If you wanna party, there's rarely a lack of it.

But, if like me, you're not into partying, there's a lot of things you can do with your time. The bowling alley isn't too far away, downtown SB has some great shopping, and of course, you can go surfing or dive right off the campus. We actually have some awesome stuff just off the beach, including methane vents. First time I saw these, I saw bubbles coming out of the sand at 30 feet. Very cool.

Not much to say about classes really. We're on a quarter system. Fall is September to Dec, Winter is January to March, and Spring is April to June. There are also summer sessions if you wanna take those. Classes are pretty chill...not *too* bad. It depends on how you are with studying and how well you can keep up. Even if you fall behind it's not too hard to catch up (give it a day or two). Also, we have a great TA operated tutoring program for a lot of classes.

Dorms...they're alright. They're pretty well kept, maintenance keeps it all clean every week. We do have one dormitory where they stick a lot of the freshmen that is off campus for about 3/4 a mile. Far for some people, but everyone bikes around. There's bike lanes all around the town and campus. It's like the place is a cool race track :D

I know my info seems kinda random, but feel free to PM me for any other questions.

Well your pretty close on the "part time pay" thing. The only problem is that in the dive business you work more than full time and make part time pay. Keep you day job kid and be grateful. Keep the diving as a hobby and have fun with it.

Happy Diving

Sounds sweet! I'm out of state, so I have to work ridiculously hard to get in lol! I think it's gonna be worth it tho!

elmo6s:
Sounds sweet! I'm out of state, so I have to work ridiculously hard to get in lol! I think it's gonna be worth it tho!

Yeah man. Work hard. It's not extremely difficult, and it sounds like you're a pretty bright person. Regardless, good luck. If you make it here, you let me know!

Will do! I just looked up UCSB in Fiske - I had no idea it was such a good college! Not to mention in the absolute best location imaginable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom