Salem MA area looking for some dive info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcd16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in the area for the next few months. I'm looking to do some diving as well as a couple of courses...

I want to find a dry suit course and an Instructor crossover course from SSI to PADI. Anyone have advice on where to go?

I'll be needing a dive buddy as well (I've never been diving up there at all) -- if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Jen

I'll be in the area for the next few months. I'm looking to do some diving as well as a couple of courses...

I want to find a dry suit course and an Instructor crossover course from SSI to PADI. Anyone have advice on where to go?

I'll be needing a dive buddy as well (I've never been diving up there at all) -- if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Jen

There is a bunch of good diving in the area. I'm using my phone but when I get on my computer I'll give you some more information.

I'll second Avery, Boston Harbor Diving runs a great charter. However, they are currently without a boat. There is a great charter that goes out of Salem, the Gauntlet. They are a very technical based boat but do recreational dives as well. Another option is the Daybreaker run by Fran Marcoux out of Gloucester. I'm not sure when he starts his season. Finally, the last boat in the area is Cape Ann Divers, they run year round. There is also a ton of shore diving to be had as well. If you're in the area for a few weeks stop by the Palmers Cove Yacht Club in Salem. The local dive club meets there every Thursday. Thell them Lewis sent you. Lastly, I will be off work for a few weeks next month if you're interested in getting some dives.

Jen, lots of great diving in that general area.

For shore dives, your best bet is to head just up the coast to Cape Ann (MIT Scuba Club). Might be worth picking up a copy of this book (shore diving guide to new england).

For boat dives, your closest bet (and the best boat in MA) is Gauntlet (Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions - Wreck Diving, Technical Diving, Deep Exploration), right out of Salem. Might be worth talking to Heather and Dave about training as well (both are outstanding independent instructors). Another great instructor is Ed Hayes (Ed Hayes - Scuba Diving - PADI, GUE, EFR and DAN Training), about 90 minutes away in CT. Otherwise, head up to Cape Ann to hop on board with Fran Marcoux (Cape Ann Charters, Inc.) or Cape Ann Divers (Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! ). Boston Harbor Diving Company / Boston Scuba Inc (Boston SCUBA - Retail Sales, SCUBA Classes, Dive Charters) is also a great outfit (I did my OW training with Jim many years ago), though they're currently in search of a new boat.

If you're willing to travel a bit more, there's also excellent diving pretty close by in Rhode Island, Maine, and Connecticut. Might even consider heading down to Cape Cod for some dives (though personally, I much prefer the diving off Cape Ann).

Have fun!

Looks like Ranier beat me to it. I'll second his recommendations, if you're looking for training closer I'll also recomend South Shore Divers in Weymouth. There are a few other instructors in the area, I'll send you a PM with their contact info.

As others have said, Cape Ann will be your closest (and best) bet for shore diving if you'll be in Salem. In terms of finding folks to dive with, there are regular (i.e. every weekend) shore dive groups run by area clubs and dive shops.

We dove with Mass Diving's (out of Natick, MA) shore dive program several times last year and met several nice people that way.

hth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom