Salmon Swim - Nimbus Fish Hatchery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattaphore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
11 November 2012; Snorkeled at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery up in Golden River, CA (just downstream from Folsom). We went as part of an organized annual "Salmon Swim" with Pinnacles Dive Center in Novato and we got to experience what it feels like to be a salmon. Some years, they do a drift snorkel down the river, but this year, there were a lot of salmon already at the fish ladder, ready to spawn, so we just stayed in one place by the ladder.

Visibility was very low along the side of the river, probably 3-5 feet at best, current is quite strong, especially near the center of the channel. There is also a bit of undertow near the ladder, as all the water of the American River is spilling over a concrete wall. Water felt pretty warm by ocean standards, my computer was registering the low 60's at the surface, but I didn't hold it down long or deep enough to get a reliable temperature reading. We were suited up in standard freediving gear, but didn't carry any lead.

Before getting in we chatted with a DFG employee who thought it was a pretty cool idea and wanted to share our pictures/video at the visitor center afterwards.

We snorkel-crawled along the bank of the river near the hatchery and encountered many dead salmon carcasses along the way (the ones that got worn out or already decided to spawn in that section of the river). It was pretty eerie and every once in a while, you'd see a live salmon swim past on its way upstream. It was definitely a unique diving environment and experience. I came out of it with a much greater respect for salmon, their endurance and ability to swim so far upstream through ripping currents.

(I bought this song and was waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it in a video)

Enjoy!

Interesting, next year come out with North Coast Divers as we did it in a different river earlier in the season, utilizing scuba tanks. We swim against the current up river, then when done just drift down stream pickup garbage along the way. Like you we saw hundreds and hundreds of salmon, but were able to look up at them. It is an experience to remember :)

2.jpg

As to those crawdads...

Attachments

• Crawdads.jpg
    Crawdads.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 164
Hey Matt. The salmon swim was super cool last weekend. I'm Rebecca's boy friend josh. We were there with our dog Stanley. I hope the next trip we will be diving. See you next time. Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom