Salt water crocs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try not to exaggerate. Crocodiles of Cozumel

Yes, there are Crocs in Caletta now and then, but my guess as to the size in other posts are exaggerated. One more time, in 20 plus years here I have NEVER heard of any diver or tourist being hurt, or even bothered by one of these Moret's Crocs.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have seen a croc on the surface in Puerto Abrigo in the late afternoon. Was not huge but was impressive. A boat captain I know has a dog named Chester who was attacked by a croc at Puerto Abrigo and survived last year. He is one lucky dog.

A gentleman we were diving with last week was snorkeling at Playa Corona and ran into one. He and his wife quickly turned around.

``A gentleman we were diving with last week was snorkeling at Playa Corona and ran into one. He and his wife quickly turned around.''

:shocked2: :sos:

Yeah, I've heard about them, but haven't actually seen one...but would LOVE to...but that's just me. :D

Once, ages ago, when I was instructing at the Fiesta Americana, I left my weight belt out at the end of the pier. Went to fetch it after 5pm and watched a "log" floating under the surface right in front of the pier.. It was a nice big croc heading south! Luckily no one was in the water. I assume he was going home to Chankanaaab.

Another time, a friend of mine offered to walk her boss's beautiful black lab up north of the Melia. He ran and jumped into the pond behind that ruined house up there and, in front of her eyes, a croc attacked and did the "killing roll". Really sad. (She didn't get fired).

About the same time, two labs off of someone's yachts in Puerto Abrigo were lost the same way.

If anyone remembers all the sweet dogs that used to hang out at La Caleta years ago, several of them met the same fate during the night. Bennie who used to live at that marina reported seeing the crocs leap out of the water to grab the dogs that were sleeping too close to the edge.

And even though I also know of no reports of any tourists being bothered, last July a local guy who was spear fishing from shore a little south of Playa Corona was attacked by a croc. He survived but was hospitalized with wounds to his arms and hands.......(and ummm, got in trouble for fishing in the park too......karma).

Vultures.. definetly the vultures.. They look at you funny.. Like if youre about to die from holding a PADI card and/or using split fins..

[vimeo]63275848[/vimeo]

Hes all like "wtf is this 'ikelite'? Is it something I can eat?" :p

Back
Top Bottom