Salt water crocs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 153425When we were there this past October we saw this giant croc at the golf course a few days in a row. It is hard to geta perspective on size from the picture however we estimated it to easily be 10 feet long. It reminded me of one of those giant crocs on Wild Kindom that take downs the wildebeest crossing the river.
Get an adult to stand right behind him with arms outstretched. Don't cheat by standing several feet behind; get close!

It that what that big piece of concrete is? I always wondered.
And you told me it was the door to the east side tunnel. :idk:

I'm new to this forum stuff and am unsure of the etiquette, but I feel like I goofed up by changing the subject of this thread (crocodiles on Cozumel) to Cozumel statues, history, trivia, or whatever we are dealing with now. Should I drop the subject, or should we start a new thread?
By the 20th post on a thread, I don't think it matters, but sometimes a mod does - and moves things.

Rufino Tamayo? After that, I'm out of guesses.

Enrique Miralda Bulnes. He was born in Honduras but lived in Mexico City until his death in 2010. He also has an underwater statue off Isla Mujeres.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2013 at 07:11 PM ----------

""The idea that divers sitting on its arms being dangerous doesn't "hold water" for me in that divers should be nearly neutrally buoyant and would not be much of a load if they sat on an arm""
---------------
Well.....as we all know here, divers can make themselves be negatively buoyant to be able to sit on the arms of the statue......and I thought there was probably some tank banging type damage while trying to do that......but that's just what I heard........I also "heard" that it was removed way before hurricane damage.........but maybe asking at Chankanaab Park would provide the best answer? They would surely know.

As I mentioned, I was off-island when the move to Chankanaab happened, but now, I have to admit I may be guilty of spreading myths; it may not have been a hurricane that toppled the statue. I asked Bill Horn of Aqua Safari if he remembered when and how it was moved (he and Alfonso Arnold got into a tiff when Bill found out Alfonso wanted to have all the divers sit on the "rocks" of Horseshoe to watch the statue get lowered!) and Bill said he seemed to remember the problem was electrolysis; the dissimilar metals in the bolts and the statue's feet corroded and then the-powers-that-be decided instead of repairing it and keeping it at Palancar, more people would see it if they moved it to the newly renovated Chankanaab Park. Until I have a chance to ask Rita Sheese, who was also involved in the original event, I'll say that explanation sounds reasonable to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom