Saltwater/Fresh Water in eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As long as I'm here.......is there any way to deal with the burn of the saltwater when you open your eyes underwater? I guess you get use it over time, but I can't imagine doing my open water cert and removing my mask in saltwater..ouch.

I don't think saltwater is too bad, but then again maybe I am use to it. The kids and I were at the shore last week and were diving down picking up starfish and shells without mask on. Not much vis because of the strong surf... but it made boogie boarding a lot of fun.

Ty

You can keep your eyes closed for mask exercises during OW training. People with contact lenses have to do this. You will get used to salt water if you practice though.

I get to an ocean at the most twice a year and the first time I had a leak in my mask....ouch...that sucked! Next time, I'll make an effort to get used to it...red eyes and all :)

you can open your eyes underwater without any problems...I have found that if right after opening your eyes under saltwater you remove the saltwater they will sting.... after awhile the numbness takes over......

Yeah, exactly that... deal with it. As you suspected, it gets easier with practice. I grew up swimming with my eyes open underwater, and definately prefer the ocean in my eyes to pool chlorine. I don't hesitate to open my eyes in either though... I don't think it's that bad.

Originally posted by jepuskar
is there any way to deal with the burn of the saltwater when you open your eyes underwater?

not long ago, so I guess it a pretty common concern among new divers.

Your (okay, MY) eyes don't burn when opened in saltwater. There is some stinging when drops of saltwater get in my eyes before and after immersion, but once completely submerged there is no discomfort at all.

You actually can see a bit better in saltwater because the refractive index is closer to that of your eyes and there is less bending of the light rays as they pass from the water through your lens. The view is still distorted (it ain't air), and you can't see well at all, but you can see better than when you open your eyes in freshwater.

You also run a smaller risk of infection from saltwater, although the risk in uncontaminated freshwater is very slight.

Don't worry about opening your eyes with your mask off in saltwater . It will suprise you when your eyes don't burn.

I have never had my eyes burn in Sea water. The salinity must be pretty much the same as real tears. Anyone have any actual knowledge about this?

yeah im a new diver and havent actually been out on a dive in salt water yet , but i used to live on an island and ive found that on the surface, like when im swimming around, my eyes really sting.. but underwater like near the floor, it doesnt hurt at all.. dont know why..

I had my first experience with saltwater this past February, lost my mask upon entry into the water, definitely felt that stinging sensation but only for a bit, as I had to make a quick mask retrieval. I was quite surprised that I was able to see better in saltwater than in fresh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom