Salvo versus Halcyon: Solved.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this thread got huge at an alarming rate. Since my first post got swamped 6 pages back within 20 minutes, i'll say again that the notion of there being some sort of gear war that has an effect on the consumer does not exist. If there was some sort of battle that was taking place beyond two individuals and businesses outside of a court system then I would certainly have felt the aftermath when I visited both shops in the same day. Both companies have some really great people that have devoted their lives to help divers dive safely regardless of origin, creed, or the logo on their gear. The Extreme Exposure guys helped me install an adapter onto a wing that salvo has on display in their shop. This war exists only in two places: The courts and the internet. It shouldn't create such a violent reaction among you people and you should continue to make your choices as you see fit, as safety dictates, and according to how you want to dive.

-V

Jasonmh:
Lamont, are you honestly saying that someone from HALCYON told you that it took 2 months to repair your light because of Barry Miller? If so, who?
The OP has nothing to do with Halcyon, and started the thread with a post about Barry Miller's statement. I didn't see anyone who works for Halcyon on here saying that the stuff with Barry caused a delay in repairs. So unless you are projecting a different issue, or are confusing someone on here as making statements as a halcyon rep, I assume that you called halcyon and they told you this personally?
Your statement of "its way more drama that I want to hear about from someone I'm doing business with" would imply so. Who from the company you're doing business with told you this?

Nope, sorry, I'm confusing Halcyon with those on the Internet. But it was offered up as defense that maybe Barry had hurt their ability to offer customer service and I was trying to rebut that and got a little carried away. You're correct that nobody from Halcyon has ever claimed that, to my knowledge.

paolov:
no what?

i know that they should not drop soap during shower time.

:10:

Time for this thread to be relocated to the Water Cooler...:D

surlynkid:
quite possibly a true statement. let's call it knowledgable circles.

Done. I've been around a couple of those circles myself. It's ironic how knowledge about a subject and moral clarity seldom appear in all members of a group. None the less, the group usually functions fairly well.

OneBrightGator:
You know what they do to pussy thievies in prison, don't you? :D

:dietcoke:

Ben...Ugh... :D

surlynkid:
i asked to try to delineate which crimes people think are serious enough to not support a convicted criminal. obviously, $150K felony theft is a misdemeanor in many TDS members' eyes. i wanted to know at what point the crime would be significant enough to register merit. i think that is a fair question.

In itself its a fair question, I think we got taken back by the way it was asked. As you state it above, it works...:wink:

As mentioned before, we all have some interactions with what many in a purist view would call 'criminally active' companies/individuals. Think of illegal software, MP3 downloads, CD copying, manufacturing of sporting goods from abroad. Heck if you go on vacation and order a cocktail with one of those collorful umbrellas you support keeping small children in cages to glue them together for food.

In the real world there is a lot of crime and we all contribute to this in one way or another. Some we dont know about, some we try to forget, others we accept. It is fine to have values and morals, but then one should also be concise with them and eliminate all interactions with any form of what can be construed as criminal activity. Life would become hard and uncomfortable quickly as we know it.

Bottom line is that both Salvo and Halcyon have strong followers, some based on product quality, some based on morals, some on both and more. Regardless of anything, this sort of publicity is not good for any company. I would not have made a statement like JJ did on the website/internet. While the intent is clear, it shows that there are some management issues, displeasure and insecurity. Better to have left things and not made any comment. Lets be honest, that whole matter was something between Halcyon and Barry Miller. Court case brought, court decided, end of matter. I would also not seek civil action.........makes me come across as vindictive, but thats just me. I would focus on building the brand, the company and streamlining management/processes to prevent things like this happening in the future. Time to grow up as a company and push for the next level of targets.

Barry is in prison paying for what he has done. End of matter too. If I were Salvo, I would also refrain from commenting any further. It is done and the damage is that the owner of the company is now a convited fellon. I would not do anything to emphazise this any further.

As for us outsiders..........products cost money, we all want them, we all work for our money to be able to afford our hobby/sport. Better quality at reasonable prices paired with excellent after sales support always win with the customers............then we tend to forget who is doing what to whom..... it is not done to us, so what do we care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom