"Same Day, Same Ocean" -- What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm on Maui visiting my Dad (he's 92 and I try to come visit every few months). So, of course, while I'm here, I decide to go diving.

While not a rabid Kool-Aid drinker (like my wife), I'll admit to having been pretty much brought to the dark side (and I do like cookies) and I actually believe I'm a pretty good teammate. For what it's worth, I've ALWAYS believed in being a good buddy.

So, here I am, without my primary teammate and doing a 3-tank dive with people I've never met (except the boat operators). I get on board and am told I'm with "them" -- a group of 3 women and 1 man. I ask if they are split into 2 teams of 2 and the man replies "One of the things I like about his boat is that it's every man for himself." (OooooKaaaaayyyy!)

I ask one of the women (the one who I'm told always goes into deco) if I could "tag along" -- sure she says. The "pool is open" and we drop in.

It was very interesting to watch, observe, etc. for indeed, it was "every man for himself." The DM payed very little attention to us -- the "gang of 4" payed almost no attention to each other -- Kimmie (my buddy) and I stayed pretty much together and she was generally cognizant of me (although she was DFA almost the whole time). We finished the dive more or less together.

This continued for dive 2 -- although a little bit less togetherness and then she opted NOT to do dive 3 -- which was really, truly, a same day, same ocean dive for everyone. (Well except for when one of the women grabbed onto some dead coral, took her BC off and stripped her wetsuit almost off -- at that point EVERYONE was within arm's reach trying to figure out what was going on! And no, it was NOT the dreaded W..er maneuver!)

As I said, I am not a poster child for DIR diving and this was as far from DIR diving as one could get. BUT, it was also a problem for me because it, for the most part, just "was not right."

I know what the "DIR Answer" to this question is -- Don't Do The Dive. But what I want to know is what, in reality, do you, as DIR divers, actually do in this situation:

a. Don't ever get into it?

b. Always bring my own teammate (variation of a).

c. Just hold my nose and go with the flow?

For what it's worth, the 4 people with whom I went into the water were ALL competent divers -- and I later found the man is an instructor who taught all of them to dive and is a tech instructor also. Their skills were fine -- but team diving, not so much.

A Warhammer reference. Excellent.

I have done A, B, and C. And D, and E. I prefer B. However if that isn't an option I evaluate ahead of time what kind of dives I'll be doing and whether or not I'm comfortable doing those dives with the worst case scenario; i.e. what you experienced.

If the dives are easy enough I'll hold my nose. If I know the dives are more complicated with regards to depth, planning, environment, etc, then I'll find something else to do. It's all about doing the homework ahead of time, and deciding what to do based on worst case before I even get to the place.

I later found the man is an instructor who taught all of them to dive and is a tech instructor also.

Which means nothing as to his competence. I know lots of people like that and a lot of them fail Rule 2 and the Loved Ones test.

1. What is Rule 2??

2. Peter, i'm in your exact boat. I'm in Hawaii every few months with no dive buddy. Oahu, which IMO is worse than Maui, instabuddy-wise. If we're talking typical Hawaii recreational follow-the-dm type dives, I grin and bear it. The perceived risk is low. But I'm with you in feeling that things just don't feel that right if my buddy isn't good. I haven't had a really bad buddy experience yet, but partly that's cause I make an effort to stick to them like glue. I also be sure to insist on a real buddy and equipment check, which probably sets the tone for them as well. In the end, I'm just happy being in the water and i'd rather follow an inattentive buddy than wander off solo. But solo on a Hawaii tourist site? I could think of more stressful situations to be in.

Peter, you're an instructor now, and much as I hate to admit it (and try to always dive with another instructor as a buddy when teaching) the reality is that you're in much more danger diving with a student than soloing. So ... grin and bear it, or come over to the Big Island to dive.

Peter, you ol' pot-stirrer ... you KNOW the DIR answer already ... :no:

I suspect you also know my answer ... which doesn't belong in the DIR forum ... pack a DSS travel sling and a deco reg, and rent an extra cylinder. I'd rather have a dumb buddy tucked safely under my left arm than a stupid buddy behaving in ways I can't predict ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I deliberately put this in the DIR forum because I wanted to know what DIR divers really did as opposed to what the "rules" say to do. And I think that makes it appropriate for the forum.

If I'd wanted to really stir the pot, I would have added that for this trip I took my Balance instead of the BP/W and am using a 5 foot hose on my primary with my AirSource as my alternate! How's that for NOT being DIR!!! Oh, and no can light and my crappy OxyCheq Raider wouldn't work (love the light it gives off, WHEN IT WORKS).

held my nose.

so far i haven't been on a true CF of a dive. generally what i've seen is just uncoordinated groups of divers. i was more concerned about running low on gas than anything else, so i'd tend to push off the bottom at 1,000 psi before most of the rest of the group and hang at 20 feet watching everyone else suck their tanks dry swimming around with turtles.

Thanks for starting this thread Peter. Through the lectures at Fundies I was wondering the same thing. Most of my dive travel will be with my non-diving wife, so lots of insta-buddies.

Our Fundies instructor gave us "home work": make a list of conditions under which I will/will not dive, such as weather, waves, current, depth time, dive buddy etc. etc. So for now I'll need to stick to that list.

It'd be great to hear more opinions on this.

Thanks,

Henrik

Stupid question, what's the "dreaded W manouver"?

A rigid, team based approach is impractical in so many recreational settings. Take a pony bottle and have fun. (Can you tell I'm not DIR?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom