Samson Camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" I have the Leroy French/aka Samson???. It was not a Samson ..It looked like a Samson but was designed and manufacured by a former member of LA UPS whose name has long been forgotten, Bob Dunn. He was locally So Cal famous for a while designing and making UW housings. He moved to the bay area where he hooked up with Al Giddings & Leroy French. The housing was distributed by Gidding/French shop called the Bamboo Reef. "

I never said it was a Sampson, just Leroy copied some of the features of it. The last time I spoke with Leroy he was living in South Carolina.

US Divers Decal#2 002.jpgUS Divers Decal#2 003.jpgUS Divers Decal#2 004.jpg

Is this the same camera we are talking about ?

Bill
Yorba Linda, Ca.

Attachments

• Bamboo_Reef#6.jpg
    Bamboo_Reef#6.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Bamboo_Reef#3.jpg
    Bamboo_Reef#3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Sam, You are 100% correct. Have you seen it and where ?

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

" and/or a 35 MM 100 foot reel Filmo camera. "

" Mine is a BELL & Howell 70 DR-it was a tan body-Eyemo was an ealier camera with a black body."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell...990?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item3a69b70036

---------- Post Merged at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

"Leroy French built a smaller proto type of the Sampson for super 8 cameras, a really,really nice looking housing. I have only seen one since the 70's and I own it."

SDM
Sam, you are 100% correct. It was a proto type, NOT a Sampson.

JUST WAITE UNTIL YOU RECEIVE OUR INVOICE!

sdm

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:11 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

" and/or a 35 MM 100 foot reel Filmo camera. "

" Mine is a BELL & Howell 70 DR-it was a tan body-Eyemo was an ealier camera with a black body."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell...990?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item3a69b70036

I had a black bodied WW11 surplus 35 MM B&H 100 foot roll like the one pictured except for one lens that would fit into the Samson Sportsman with out modification other than the winding of the wind knob (you remember- they were ground off a tad)..I put it in the camera several times but never had the need or the money to use it.

I sold it via a PO to Hughes whose engineers ripped it apart and somehow converted it to a high speed camera..

Certainly didn't sell it for nearly as much as the what they are asking for the one on e-bay- I sold it as I recall after all these years $200 or $250.00 and I was really happy! Should have kept it for 40 more years....

sdm

---------- Post Merged at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

More on the Samson from another board.....................

[h=3]Re: SAMSON VINTAGE CAMERA HOUSING[/h] Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I was on the original HDS B of D. During that time period I published a number of articles in my dedicated column "Diving facts from Sam's Almanac." During my tenure my friend, fellow dive club member, occasional diving buddy and minor mentor Herb Samson passed away.

I wrote a detailed obituary of Herb for publication in the HDS journal of Herb and his many contributions to diving, from his early involvement with UW photography in Hollywood, to his unequaled cameras and radical speargun to establishing the very first Black Sea Bass spearfishing world record.

I was turned down by the "God of Historical Diving" who I suspect had never heard of Herb Samson and his many contributions to the underwater world. "This is an organization of professional divers we will not mention or honor sport divers" or words to that effect.

So I began loading the Board of Advisors with sport divers; Andy Rechnitzer, Who is he? Mistral brothers, Bob & Bill, They are surfers!, Dick Bonin, A navy diver! and a few others who were rejected

Now all is forgiven and ten years after Herb Samson's passing HDS is piecing together bits and pieces of information based on I suppose, I heard, I think I was told rather than relying on those who are still alive knew him, his family, and his products.

I no longer belong to HDS..........
sdm

Re: SAMSON VINTAGE CAMERA HOUSING
\
Popeye » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Herb Sampson filed a description with the US Patent Office for his motion picture camera housing in April, 1959. He followed that up with a patent application in on December 7th, 1959, and the patent was awarded in February, 1960. Besides being a well balanced compact housing, Herb's design had several novel features, two of which were quite innovative for the time and both could be seen on the rear cover of the housing. Herb had a light meter installed in the window of the rear cover along with a large, easy to read scale for both distance (marked for both air and water distances) and aperture.

Also, Herb had designed an optical viewfinder with the front lens element very close to the camera lens, and the rear, viewing element at the rear of the housing. This viewfinder was designed to eliminate, or minimize, the problems of parallax found in housings using a "sportfinder" type aiming system. Herb went on to collaborate with motion picture star, Jon Hall, selling the housing as the Sampson/Hall SCUMPA (Self Contained Motion Picture Apparatus). The housing also allowed for an electric motor drive for the Bell and Howell D70 camera.

Popeye

[h=3]Re: SAMSON VINTAGE CAMERA HOUSING[/h]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is VERY INTERESTING!

The "Samson Professional Underwater Camera Box" was first advertised by a very small anouncement in the January 1955 issue of Skin Diver Magazine on page 31. He placed his housing on the market before he had patent protection

In addition to the built in optical view finder and the light meter-(do you recall the brand?) there were also a number of other unique features. Such as;
* The unique External sports finder
* The F stop with positive stops
* The large wind knob
* The large internal flim counter
* The special rubber lens covers
* The Spear Gun mounts
* The power head mounts
* Special internal finish
* Special external finish-(mine still looks like new)
And of course his other products, such as
* Water proof watch case (I think I have the last two in the world)
* Samson world record Spear gun- produced by three different companys
* Samson "long tom" spear gun
* Samson spear fishing head.

Interesting note his first and only dealer was Dr Nelson Mathison who anounced his dealership in the same issue of SDM January 1955.

The first SDM cover of a Samson Camera was the February 1958 issue. It was a picture of a very young Ron Merker, holding a Samson Camera in his left hand and a California lobster in his right hand--a almost full year before Herb Samson had a patent on the camera system.

The last person to purchase a camera from Herb was the Professional Underwater photographer Bill Mc Donald. After that sale Herb sold to Jon Hall who did very little with the camera

I am currently very busy with another project therefore I would like to impose on you to make additional comments on the unique features of the Samson products,less all this history be lost--I simply don't have the time
Go for it!

SDM

[h=3]Re: SAMSON VINTAGE CAMERA HOUSING[/h]by 21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Herb Sampson

GE Exposure Meter Type PR-30 Mascot.jpgGE Exposure Meter Type PR-30 Mascot #2.jpg" Herb Sampson filed a description with the US Patent Office for his motion picture camera housing in April, 1959. He followed that up with a patent application in on December 7th, 1959, and the patent was awarded in February, 1960. Besides being a well balanced compact housing, Herb's design had several novel features, two of which were quite innovative for the time and both could be seen on the rear cover of the housing. Herb had a light meter installed in the window of the rear cover along with a large, easy to read scale for both distance (marked for both air and water distances) and aperture. "

Sampson Patent:
±M§Q US3065666 - UNDERWATER CAMERA CONSTRUCTION - Google ±M§Q

"
In addition to the built in optical view finder and the light meter-(do you recall the brand?) "

The first ones without a tripod mount on the bottom use an early GE Mascot
Second one is above right.

---------- Post Merged at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Sampson housing-Della Valle-rear-IMG_0460.jpgSampsonFirst#1.jpgSkin_Diver_2_58.jpg

Second housing with spear mounts had the first GE meter and the first one a later GE meter. Third picture Ron Merker.

---------- Post Merged at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:50 AM ----------

" The Spear Gun mounts " on the Sampson Underwater Housing were a waist, unless your were left handed. The trigger on the housing was on the right side.
So to take pictures you had to use you right hand, and use your left hand for the spear gun trigger. Very awkward. That's why very few of them
Sampson_Spear_Gun#95.JPG were made.

Hi, I was searching Google for some of my Dad's old housings and am interested in buying any that anyone would be interested in selling regardless of their condition, though the better condition the better.

With that said, I feel obligated to comment on the statements about my Dad's personal life. He did not leave the country due to "difficulties", he left to move to the caribbean when my parents were divorced which was the dificulty (Wife #1 was my mother) and opened Ocean Explorers Dive Centre in St. Maarten. He was married to an English woman and a French woman, both for as long or longer as my mother, which was 16 years for a total of 3 wives and 50+ years of marriage.Just wanted to set the record straight as no one wants people making jokes at the expense of their parents. And thank you for the comment about my mother, she was in fact a lovely woman.

For those interested, he is about to turn 75, just finished a shark dive in the Bahamas, still an avid photographer and lives on Hilton Head Island SC.........and is on Facebook for any that want to find him.

I am seriously interested in buying any of his old housings.

LeRoy French Jr

From Sam Miller: " * Water proof watch case (I think I have the last two in the world) "

Did these have a watch in them ?

What did these look like and how did they work ? Wind or battery ?

Any resemblance to an old US Diver depth gauge ?

Thanks,

Bill
Yorba Linda, Ca.

Back
Top Bottom