San Diego Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScubaSteve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Heading to San Diego this Sunday. I have a week to do some diving. Was wondering what you all recommend? I have my advanced open water and nitrox certification. Have been on over 50 dives including a live aboard in turks and caicos. Not sure what San Diego is known for but I like to see bigger stuff (sharks, turtles ect) and I like walls and lots of reefs. I also enjoy wrecks too. Let me know what your suggestions are. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the options I see online.

There's a wreck alley off San Diego (boat dives) there's shore diving in the famous LaJolla Cove or the Shores nearby. There's also day trips to Los Coronados to play with the sea lions or the Kelp beds off Point Loma (boat)

Probably the Kelp diving is the most unusual thing you can do. It varies from year to year and IDK how good it is now - ask one of the dive operators.

www.divebums.com is a little dated but a good starting point. Several of the shops listed have closed in the last year or two so call to confirm.

Humboldt (Waterhorse), Marissa or Lois Ann are good local boat options. There's also an active Meet-up group - Power Scuba. They regularly dive the Shpres Thursday nights..

Last edited:
San Diego area diving has great wrecks and kelp adventures....most will be off boats though. Enjoy.
Yes, Power Scuba Meet-up group is a great way to get together with divers and discounted boat trips.
Here is there link on ScubaBoard: Intro Message and Important Info and the will have a link directly to their site to register. Have fun.

I mostly dive with Waterhorse and Marissa during my visits, but have also dived with Lois Ann, all are good. Wreck Alley, Kelp, and Coronados are all good dives, quite complimentary. Bottom temps are chilly, 7mm with hood/hooded vest or a drysuit.

Enjoy your visit, let us know how you did

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom