San Diego in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking through my logs, but apparently I have never recorded my dives at the Cove! It's hard to remember a specific area without something to reference...
If memory serves, it's far more colorful than the surrounding shore dives. Not deep, sandy bottom with some large rocks; grass and kelp patches. You can find sheephead, garibaldi, turtles, leopard sharks. Plenty more than that, I just can't ID most things. I'd say you have a much higher chance of meeting a sea lion, seal, horn shark, and guitarfish than if you dove the Shores.

A couple things to keep in mind: You will be there when seal pups are around, so be aware. The beach is sometimes closed to keep people away from them, but I'm pretty sure the Cove is just north of where that happens. We've also had a couple storms and (relatively) high surf around there. It's likely that a lot of kelp in the area has been damaged or washed away, even though the Cove is somewhat protected.

You'll be just fine with the semi-dry.

Hi, I am going to be in the San Diego area in January and might have a couple days free for diving.

Looking for recommendations--shore or boat? Which are the good operators? Good shops? What can I expect in terms of water temps? I am an experienced diver and used to diving in currents. Dove the channel Islands in Sept for my first kelp dives and loved it.

Thanks!
Please report back if you do dive in the area when you are there. I am planning to be there in mid March and any information you can provide would be most welcome. We will be staying in Oceanside.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I will be ready to go next weekend. Now, it just depends on the weather . . . .

With the weather we've been having, do keep an eye on wave action, esp direction. Waves that are diveable at a place like La Jolla Shores (straight beach, sandy bottom) can turn the Cove into a Washing Machine of Doom. It's a "dogleg left" leaving the N facing beach, with lots of rocks on the W facing shoreline just to your right. Not a place to get pushed up into.

I've seen advanced rescue classes (lifeguards and Navy) take a look at the Cove and "nope" when the Shores were diveable.

A lot depends on wind/wave direction. If locals are going in, then give it a look and see if it matches your skills. If locals and lifeguards are giving it a pass...

I saw the reports on large swells this week. Believe me, I am not out to prove anything, just want a couple of relaxing dives in the kelp or on some of the wrecks. If the weather is doubtful at all, I will pass. If it's calm and sunny, then good to go!

Anybody know a dive site called "Connors Canyon?" There is a boat going there this weekend, along with the Yukon and Ruby but I can't seem to find much info on it.

Sounds like the Marissa. Not a wreck. Big rocks, kelp, that kind of dive. Lot of "what's around that corner" looking around. I don't mind a dive there, just not a whole day. Depends on what you are into.

Yes, the Marissa. Its is the third dive, after Yukon and Ruby. Sound like a good itinerary? Also, any insight in to conditions for the weekend, I see a beach warning for big waves and rip currents through Friday, but how would this affect the boat dives?

Thanks!

Wrecks AND kelp beds? Sounds like a fun day. As far as conditions go, topside looks like it will be back to normal Saturday morning. Underwater will likely be a coin toss - could be unusually clear, could be not great - since you're diving the day after the weather passes. Your three dives are in different locations, so conditions may be similar but not quite the same. If surge is a bit strong be attentive on the Yukon dive.

The boat will call the trip if the waters are clearly unsafe, or even iffy. If the site specifically looks bad, they will more than likely offer to relocate. The rest is up to your judgement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom