San Diego: With or Without Wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nerobanchee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I recently got my OW certification on the north coast of California. The waters here require a 7mm suit to keep from getting hypothermia while diving, but what about water that is around 65 deg. F? I am from San Diego and I will be diving there next time I go down. I have never worn a wetsuit there before (even in winter!) when I go swimming/surfing/freediving, but I do get colder when I scuba dive. Would any of you recommend a spring suit? Is a 7mm suit too much? I just want to know what I should bring.
Thanks guys!

Most of the divers I know who dive San Diego wear drysuits or at least 6mm wetsuits. I've made dives in Carmel and Monterey that were a degree or two warmer than it was down here a couple days before.

nerobanchee:
Hello,
I recently got my OW certification on the north coast of California. The waters here require a 7mm suit to keep from getting hypothermia while diving, but what about water that is around 65 deg. F? I am from San Diego and I will be diving there next time I go down. I have never worn a wetsuit there before (even in winter!) when I go swimming/surfing/freediving, but I do get colder when I scuba dive. Would any of you recommend a spring suit? Is a 7mm suit too much? I just want to know what I should bring.
Thanks guys!

your mileage may vary but I wouldnt wear anything less than a 7MM in san diego.
Actually, I'd wear a drysuit ...

Temps in the LA area in the shallows were 59-63 last weekend.

I've done a number of dives in San Diego and wear either my DUI CF200 drysuit or a 7mm wetsuit. I'm a big guy and not known for getting cold, and I would not consider doing a dive with less than a 7mm suit down there.

I dove off San Diego in May and in August and neither time was the water near 65 deg. F except near the surface. I used a 7mm wetsuit during my August dive and by my third dive in a row down to 50 deg. waters (prob. somewhere between 50 and 80 feet), I was COLD! When I was there in May a year or two later, I used a drysuit, expecting colder waters yet but was pleasantly surprised at the water temps which only got down to about the mid-50's.

-- Dan

Always wear thermal protection.

Black.

Looks just like a seal to Mr Grey.

Brrrr.

The water here in San Diego may well be 60-65 on the surface in the summer... Cruise down below the thermocline and its A LOT colder. It can be and usually is 50-55 @ or below 60 feet....

So...

7mm or Dry would be my .02 worth.

7mm or dry the bottom temp is around 50 all year round

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom