San Diego: With or Without Wetsuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I was just diving in San Diego on the wreck of the Hogan..Yukon

7mm suit or dry suit !!!

Please also wear hood and gloves !!!

Bob

You have to go a LOT further south than San Diego to leave your 7mm wetsuit in the closet.

Count on 55 degrees or so on the wrecks or in the kelp. I dive drysuited, hardier souls do it in seven-mil. Plus hood & gloves, natch. After three days of boat diving I'll be feeling chilled half an hour into a dive. Need thicker thermals.

Best S.D. dive boat is the Lois Ann! (www.loisann.com)

-Bryan

Ditto. Even if the temp is 65-70 you'll be happy in the 7 mm. Hood, gloves, booties too.

I wore a 3mm wetsuit in Belize! If I hadn't, it would've been uncomfortably cold and it was 78-84 degrees in the water.
Angela

Yeah, I was planning on making it a more shallow dive, below 40 or 50 probably. I was planning on going in the La Jolla cove area, by the kelp forests. I guess Im just used to the warm water on the surface, hehe. I wouldnt need a hood for those depths, would I?
thanks!

I've seen thermoclines as shallow as 15 feet here. There are also times that it can get into the high 60s-low 70s at 100 feet during El Nino years. I know a GUE instructor who refuses to wear a hood even while diving in New York in 36F water. I forgot my hood once and dived in 53F and thought I was going to die! :)
YMMV

I don't know what they do now but there was only one group I know of that used to dive there without suits during training. That was the Navy. Working dives required a 1/4" or 7mm suit to stay sane.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom