San Juan business & diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I expect to be in San Juan, P.R. on business on a recurring basis and am looking for hotel I can work from that has diving nearby. Any suggestions? The company tends to put me in in resort type places when I work in the Carribean so extreme cost savings shouldn't be a consideration.

Oh yeah, Yahoo! Work in Puerto Rico!!!

DivePartner1:
I expect to be in San Juan, P.R. on business on a recurring basis and am looking for hotel I can work from that has diving nearby. Any suggestions? The company tends to put me in in resort type places when I work in the Carribean so extreme cost savings shouldn't be a consideration.

Oh yeah, Yahoo! Work in Puerto Rico!!!

Hey! I live in Old San Juan, and let me tell ya, not much good diving in the metro area, but there is excellent diving within about a 2hour drive from here! I've dove with just about every operation here, so PM me if you want specifics! Just came back from Parguera this last weekend and it was great!

I would go with what Squee says. I dove with Parguera Divers and it was the kind of quality dive that you would see on a National Geographic special. That good!

One thing: to get there, you have to go over a high mountain pass from San Juan. I would suggest staying overnight to offgas before crossing the mountain pass back to San Juan. Should not be a big deal since you will have to wait to fly anyway.

I agree completely with the previous posts. No a lot of diving within the San Juan metro area. La Parguera and Desecheo Island are great, but like previously stated, you would have to drive about 2 hrs. Another option is Culebra. It does involve driving as well, and taking the ferry, but definately worthy. Hope you enjoy your time on our "little enchanted island".

SW

Yes it is true, parguera divers is about the highest rated dive operation on the island in my opinion. Angel is a grade "A" captain/instructor/tour guide. Also, you do have to pass through the mountains to get back from parguera, it does have high altitude (such that your ears pop) so diver beware, and there is great wall diving there, so you go pretty deep, thus it is a concern. I however, have not spent more than a few hours after my dive before driving back. If I don;t want to spend the night, I just leave old san juan by 5:30 am, get there by 7:30 and a all set for the dive by 8! After the dive, I usually get a marlin burger at a nearby stand and relax for a good hour and then drive back. Great dives, and makes for a great weekend. When you are down here, let me know and maybe we can buddy up!

Thanks for information! I'll aim for living on the coast on weekends. I may drop in next week but won't have much time to plan and it may be mid week. If I have any say, it's be a Friday or Saturday.

I'll pm when I know more.

What is the water temperature this time of year?

DivePartner1:
Thanks for information! I'll aim for living on the coast on weekends. I may drop in next week but won't have much time to plan and it may be mid week. If I have any say, it's be a Friday or Saturday.

I'll pm when I know more.

What is the water temperature this time of year?

It's friggin chilly. Bring a dry suit.
It was around 85 degrees this last weekend at about 40 feet. Surface temp was in the 90s. I don't think I could ever dive north of the caribbean. I'm a wuss. I wear a 3mm here, but a lot of people don't wear anything, or a 1mm.

Is There Such A Thing? My Wifes Folks Are From Pr And They Say That A Hotel Less Than $100 Is Not Possible. True? I'm Used To Traveling In Mexico, Guatemala. Prices Around $30 No More. Also Interested In Culebra. Please Advise.

cahendrick:
Is There Such A Thing? My Wifes Folks Are From Pr And They Say That A Hotel Less Than $100 Is Not Possible. True? I'm Used To Traveling In Mexico, Guatemala. Prices Around $30 No More. Also Interested In Culebra. Please Advise.

Check out the type of lodging they call "Posada" (Inn) in PR. In many parts of the islands there are certainly decent rooms <$100.

tvictory:
Check out the type of lodging they call "Posada" (Inn) in PR. In many parts of the islands there are certainly decent rooms <$100.

You certainly can find rooms for less than a $100/night, but in my experience, even some of the rooms over a $100/night aren't that great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom