San Juan business & diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvictory:
Check out the type of lodging they call "Posada" (Inn) in PR. In many parts of the islands there are certainly decent rooms <$100.
we checked those out and they were all 100 +.
anyone know a small mom pop plac enear diving cheap?

Let me check with my niece and see what she can come up with. She lives in Fajardo and is a conference coordinator at the Westin Rio Mar. I think the Westin would be high $$ and the diving is so-so there but she is in touch with other businesses and has a lot of contacts. I've dove Culebra, Caja De Muerto, Parguera and a few shore diving sites. Your best bet is to meet up with a local and work your way in with them.

There are some off shore islands that are uninhabited and you can head out there and pitch a tent and stay the weekend and dive off the beach. I've done this from a jet ski and form a small boat that relatives shared with some other owners. I don't know the name of the island but when my wife gets home from work I'll ask her.

We would be living down there is they paid nurses like they do in CONUS.

Don't forget the Virgin Islands. You can get on a cheap flight and stay at a guest house and dive there too.

In Parguera I have stayed at Andinos a couple of time and paid around $40 a night.

jerrynuss:
In Parguera I have stayed at Andinos a couple of time and paid around $40 a night.

How was it? I have stayed at the torres in parguera and the posada del mar. Torres was great, and the posada del mar was mosquito infested. What time of year did you stay there?

jerrynuss:
Let me check with my niece and see what she can come up with. She lives in Fajardo and is a conference coordinator at the Westin Rio Mar. . . .
Don't forget the Virgin Islands. You can get on a cheap flight and stay at a guest house and dive there too.

Thanks for the information. Nice, but it looks a bit far from San Juan. This might be a good weekend place. I hadn't thought of VI as an option but it is close. Still, I'd like to scout out Puerto Rico first.

I stayed at Andinos in March. It was ok. Really nothing fancy but it was clean and worked out ok since I was just there to Dive.

I talked with my wife and she said try Humacao.

For shore diving Isabela.

The small islands where we spent the night were off shore from Fajardo she didn't know the name.

I have not had a chance to talk with my neice about places to stay.

jerrynuss:
I stayed at Andinos in March. It was ok. Really nothing fancy but it was clean and worked out ok since I was just there to Dive.

I talked with my wife and she said try Humacao.

For shore diving Isabela.

The small islands where we spent the night were off shore from Fajardo she didn't know the name.

I have not had a chance to talk with my neice about places to stay.

I have also dove the island off of fajardo, and checked my log book for a name, but all I have written down is: "some little island off the coast of fajardo" I do remember it was relatively shallow all the way around, but had good vis at the time and nice coral formations.

DivePartner1:
I expect to be in San Juan, P.R. on business on a recurring basis and am looking for hotel I can work from that has diving nearby. Any suggestions? The company tends to put me in in resort type places when I work in the Carribean so extreme cost savings shouldn't be a consideration.

Oh yeah, Yahoo! Work in Puerto Rico!!!

I've learned that most of the work will be in the City of Ponce on the south coast. Any dive shop recommendations?

DivePartner1:
I've learned that most of the work will be in the City of Ponce on the south coast. Any dive shop recommendations?

I think Ponce is only going to be about 45 minutes from Parguerra, and I beleive you can also catch a boat to Caja los muertos off the coast of ponce. I have been meaning to dive there. I'm in San Juan, but when you get in and feel like diving look me up and I'll go over to coffin island with you to dive :) I've been meaning to go therre for some time now. I have never actually stopped in Ponce, just drove through to go to Parguera.

Back
Top Bottom