San Salvador Bahamas anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back on Saturday from a weeks stay on San Salvador with Club Med and I had a great time. While it is a cattle boat setup,the dives were still very enjoyable.I did the 10 dive package and brought my own gear.What I liked the most was that the sharks were not skittish and were also plentiful. On my final day of diving I got to see a rather large Hammerhead which was awesome and the highlight of my dives.

I just got back on Saturday from a weeks stay on San Salvador with Club Med and I had a great time. While it is a cattle boat setup,the dives were still very enjoyable.I did the 10 dive package and brought my own gear.What I liked the most was that the sharks were not skittish and were also plentiful. On my final day of diving I got to see a rather large Hammerhead which was awesome and the highlight of my dives.

About how many divers per boat? How many divemasters in the water? What was the Club Med like?

Last edited:
Wife and I are heading to RRI June 2-9. Looking forward to some great dives.
I will try to do a trip report with lots of pics and videos.

Have fun on your upcoming trip, looking forward to your report!

Good to hear you had a great time. We are packing now for out trip on Saturday. Just curious, did you have any problems
with sand fleas or mosquitos?

Russ

It's been a long time since our trip to San Salvador but I still remember that the mosquitos were very bad when we were there! A lot depends on the winds, if it is breezy the mosquitos are usually not too bad, but if the wind drops they can be ferocious. I would bring repellent and Allegra Anti-Itch ointment.

Seafari has 2 dive boats for when it gets really busy. We were only using 1 and it varied from maybe 30 divers plus divemasters on the busiest days down to about 15 or so on the slower days. The dives were averaging 45 -55 minutes with a 1 hour surface interval. Generally there were no more than 5 divers per divemaster in if you wanted to,you were free to buddy dive.

We had great weather and a fairly constant wind which I think really helped with the mosquitos. My wife and I used bug repellent at dinner time every night because we got nibbled on on "white night" sitting outside near the pool.The club itself is wonderful in my opinion as we don't want or need the Taj Mahal to make us happy. The food was plentiful and good as were the drinks. Our best find is the bar and restaurant La Pinta that is directly over the dive shop.It is rather underutilized so it made for a great lunch spot after diving and drinks later on in the evening. You have to make reservations for dinner there the day before and it is well worth it.

Enjoy your trip and if you plan on using a divemaster,I would recommend Khinda.Not that any I dived with were bad by any means,but she was very good.

We dove 4 full days there from the Aquacat in 2013 (on a 2 week charter) and I seem to remember it was some of the best diving of the trip. Snorkeling in the mangroves there was also pretty interesting.

Taken from Seafari's fb page:
32580445_192268811395384_5476017752609128448_o.jpg

These are massive boats and the dual ladders make on and off quick and easy. And as John mentioned you can (and should!) buddy dive so you are not tied to any group. We always set up at the very back and are first in and last out.
Skeeters are still there. ClubMed fogs for them so it helps, but they are around. Sand fleas I do not remember having an issue with.

Wife and I are heading to RRI June 2-9. Looking forward to some great dives.
I will try to do a trip report with lots of pics and videos.

I’m looking forward to your trip report also.

Back
Top Bottom