"Sanctum" - New Cave Diving Feature Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sanctum-2-263050.jpeg

Cinepax

I just saw Sanctum in 3-D tonight. I knew very little about it and suspected with apprehension it was a sci fi take off "Journey to the Center of the Earth" or something. I was wrong, it is a feature length spelunking/cave diving movie?! It was even inspired by actual events that happened to Andrew Wight in Australia on a cave dive in horrific conditions around 1990. Wight is a documentary film maker and one of the screen writers of Sanctum. The movie including special effects was shot in Australia.

Continued at:
"Sanctum" - New Cave Diving Feature Film In Theaters - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

It was a decent movie but for a 3d movie it didn't have as many cool 3d scenes as I would have expected. There was some cheesy dialogue ... "What could possibly go wrong diving in caves" is definitely among the worst of them. Overall decent movie though it did let down my expectations a little.

Um. Saw the 3D version as well. Pretty intense flick.

Just added some more background to the review. Renowned cave diver and explorer Wes Skilles was one of the 15 divers, most from Florida, who were trapped in a cave system in Australia in 1988. Andrew Wight was also there. A tropical storm had come up closing out the cave. This inspired the movie written by Wight. The movie isn't perfect or suitable viewing by everyone either. Consider what it takes to sell something like this to a major studio and the sacrifices required to improve marketing to the masses, credibility as a rule. It is one of the very few diving related feature length moves out there, hence the writeup.

""movie isn't perfect or suitable viewing by everyone either. Consider what it takes to sell something like this to a major studio..."

Does this mean there are Boobies in it!!??

Diving boobies would make it an easier pitch, sort of. I was talking about technical diving for mass consumption? Not a likely sale but they pulled it off. Look at what is popular on TV these days, reality TV, drier technically accurate documentary like stuff may not fly all that well.

""movie isn't perfect or suitable viewing by everyone either. Consider what it takes to sell something like this to a major studio..."

Does this mean there are Boobies in it!!??

Diving boobies would make it an easier pitch, sort of. I was talking about technical diving for mass consumption? Not a likely sale but they pulled it off. Look at what is popular on TV these days, reality TV, drier technically accurate documentary like stuff may not fly all that well.

Um, so that's a no on the boobies?

Um, so that's a no on the boobies?

Well, that may be a good thing. What was the movie about the couple left to float in the ocean and the guy died...then the girl died. Remember her "nudie" scene. A "bushwacker" would have been appropriate!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom