"Sanctum" - New Cave Diving Feature Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the review RickI. Just got back from seeing it in 3D IMAX with about 8 other divers from our group. I realized just how good the special effects were when I discovered I was sitting in a theater seat while holding my breath, and wishing I was wearing my 3mil.

Heckuva movie, IMHO.

I found it to be a perfect use or 3D, and not the over gratuitous use of 3D like we see in a great many films right now. I have a great friend who I am trying to talk into diving. and a bubble watcher wife who I am trying to convince to learn to dive, and allow me to splurge on cave and cavern gear and training. The way I described it to my best friend is; "Great movie, it's a shame you shouldn't see... Yet." I then went on to explain that as a non diver, it might prejudice him about cave diving, that it may instill some reasonable and even unreasonable fears in him. I told him it might be a disservice to his desire to learn to dive if he saw it before he had a solid structure on which to base his perceptions. He felt that was a reasonable approach. My wife I just had to outright lie to her and say it sucked. She already has claustrophobia issues where diving and snorkeling are concerned.

In my case, SPOILER ALERT

When they were crawling the constriction the first time, I caught myself holding my breath, then I cursed at myself for even thinking to hold my breath in the first place given the forced perspective of being under water. It then made me wonder if i would hold my breath in a tense situation underwater. Then there was the sudden attacks of claustrophobia I felt during both of the constriction scenes. The 3d effect and the perception of such a tight fit, and me holding my breath seemed to induce some artificial, albeit real panic attack around a feeling of claustrophobia. And I'm nowhere near claustrophobic. I guess different peopel will see thsi movie different ways, but it really made me reflect on myself inwardly as a diver, and hopefully in some small way, it made me safer, and more conscious of my involuntary breath holds.

But as far as thriller movies go, this one is great, it's just a shame I'm a little iffy on my close friends seeing it if they plan on pursuing diving.

The 3d effect and the perception of such a tight fit, and me holding my breath seemed to induce some artificial, albeit real panic attack around a feeling of claustrophobia. And I'm nowhere near claustrophobic.

Same for me! I guess divers and non divers would react differently to the movie. I am not a cave diver, every year i think of a try cave dive in the silica mines in wales... this movie definitly pushed it away for another one!!!

I enjoyed the movie, cool effects and diving situations but not so much of a plot. The character development was lacking and dialogue was somewhat cheesy/predictable at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom