Sandflies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are in the planning phase of our PI trip. We have already decided to return to Sogod Bay for diving and are now looking for a nice beach (with some occasional diving) to relax a few days. We have limited our list to: Palawan, Boracay, Siquijor, Bohol and Malapascua. Are there sandflies on these islands or on some of the beaches on these islands?

I am allergic to sandfly bites (and I seem to be a favourite target of sandflies, mozzies etc. contrary to my husband who barely notices the few bites he gets). On our last visit to a Cambodian island I developed big spots with major itching. That itching went on for several months, so we decided it is not worth the pain and the sleepless nights, no matter how lovely a beach is. Any info on sandflies or the absence of them would be really useful.

Cheers,
Parla

I've never paid attention to the type of flies....but there are flies all over and I would suspect sand flies are always an inherent risk when traveling around [-]the PI[/-] South East Asia.

I do know sand flies can be carriers of dengue, and if there is a correlation between sand fly populations and dengue areas (which I'm not sure there is), then you can cross out the deep back rainforests of Palawan of your places to go. The Visayas is pretty dengue free (no guarantees though)...

sorry I can't be much help...that's a challenging question.

That is new to me that sandflies would be linked to dengue. So far I have thought that dengue is caused by mosquitoes (the ones with striped legs). My question was more about people's experience when out of the water, on the sandy beach. I was thinking that perhaps somebody else from PPD is also allergic/reacts strongly and would remember if one of the beaches was full of sandflies.

Cheers,
Parla

My only pics are the marks of the bites, but I mean the sandflies like in the pic in the Wikipedia link. Tiny, black and white, flying and insects that are quick to attck. Earlier I had noticed them around sunset (e.g. on Koh Samet in Thailand) but in Cambodia (on Koh Rung) they attacked you the minute (definitely within a minute) you got your head above water any time of the day.

Wiki helped me where my English-Finnish dictionnaries couldn't: learnt what is a dipteran :) But I am still more concerned about sandflies than Dengue. I have heard about sand fleas but so far have avoided them.

frankly i have never noticed or heard anyone complain of sandflies here in the PI. unless their attraction to you is really unique, i dont think they're a problem here. biggest pest here are mosquitoes at night.

dont bug sprays work against sandflies?

sand flies are not very common here in my experience of local beaches but they DO occur occasionally...

the only remedy i can think of i saw on the amanpulo website: they recommend coating your legs in a layer of Virgin Coconut Oil (easily available at supermarkets or drugstores locally)... aside from being great for the skin they keep the nasties away

sand fleas are annoying... sorry to hear you have allergies, they make it annoying AND painful...

the VCO makes sense though, a coating to stay between your skin and them + the scent is a repellent to begin with...

Off Lotion and other bug sprays don't really work on sand fleas

Jag

I seem to be a favourite target of sandflies, mozzies etc. contrary to my husband who barely notices the few bites he gets

I know exactly what you mean and why you are asking.

Shugar is right about not all beaches having sandflies. The local people know the areas which are to be avoided due to mozzies, etc.

However, as you seem to have the same blood type as me and get targetted by bugs, I advise the following;

1. Stay indoors for the 30-45 minute period at dawn and dusk (sunrise and sunset). If you are outside, wear lightweight cotton pants and long-sleeves and apply insect repellant on exposed skin.

2. Try to position yourself in a place with a fan blowing air over you if you are in a bar/restaurant;

3. Buy Baygon/other insect killer and spray your room on entering/leaving;

4. Eat garlic laced food (plenty here) - it works!!

5. Don't be too worried and enjoy you vacation!!!

Hope this helps.

We have limited our list to: Palawan, Boracay, Siquijor, Bohol and Malapascua. Are there sandflies on these islands or on some of the beaches on these islands?
Cheers,
Parla

Parla,
I have been to all of those locations and do not remember any biting insects other than mosquitos at the beaches I went to. I have however been to other locations not on your list which had the dreaded no see-ums in the early morning and dusk hours... to echo other board members recommendations: some insect repellent or oil is always a great idea when your out in the wilds(anywhere).. Off is readily available in most Drug Stores here...

HTH

Back
Top Bottom