Sandtigers - should I replace DS-51s with DS-125s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I have used a housed Canon E-330 with a pair of DS-51 strobes. Have never used other strobes and have no experience in comparing them to the DS-51. I do know, of course, that the DS-51 have a fairly narrow angle of coverage, which is fine since I am mostly doing macro anyway. Now, however, I am going on a trip to NC and hope to be able to get some shots of sandtigers. Before I get frustrated with my setup, I was wondering if anyone here thinks I may benefit from upgrading to a DS-125 or even a DS-200 for those shark shots?

I highly suggest the DS-125 strobes. They are great for all types of photography and offer several power settings and TTL. They also give you another 30 degrees of coverage over the DS-51. The model light is also a great feature. If you are shooting on the bottom with the sharks, you might try to aim the strobes down in the sand and let the light bounce off the sand to provide your fill lighting. This technique also helps reduce backscatter in your photos.

I have a pair of the 125s with over 800 dives on them. I just got replacement batteries, I'm rebuilding the old ones, about a month ago. They are basically bullet proof and have been smashed against boats in big seas, dragged across beaches and dropped I don't know how many times. Great coverage and fast recharging. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom