Sanilac Shores Lake Huron Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bnscherm

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to do an extensive amount of diving this spring in the Sanilac Shores and Thumb area preserves. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the charters in this area and could make some reccomendations on the differnt operations. Thanks.

Bnscherm:
I plan to do an extensive amount of diving this spring in the Sanilac Shores and Thumb area preserves. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the charters in this area and could make some reccomendations on the differnt operations. Thanks.
Capt. Gary Venet Sr. operates out of Port Sanilac. From what I have seen they don't come any better.

Another good captain out of there is Gary Bienieki. He can be a little more difficult to nail down as he still works for the sheriff's dept., but is a good bet to do some really great diving with.

Also Capt. Dan Block can be talked into trailering a boat to Harbor Beach. I have dove with him several times as well and have nothing but good to say about him.

We dove with Gary Bienieki and really enjoyed it.
Ber

I've heard that there is some decent diving at Otter Lake and Lake Fenton. I also heard there was a cabin cruiser somewhere in Otter Lake, and was wondering if anyone had a map of the lake or could tell me where to find it. There is a small park on the South shore, I suspect it is somewhere off of here. As far as Lake Fenton goes I've never been there, and if someone had a map of the lake that would be excellent. What about shore dive sites in the sanilac shores area possibly near Port Sanilac.

There really is no shore diving near Port Sanilac, it is just a beach with shallow water out quite a ways. You can go 25 miles south to Port Huron and do shore dives in the river there.
Current is strong in places so I would strongly suggest you dive with a local. Good dive shop there, Dive Inn, that could put you in touch with some divers.

Gary

Bnscherm:
I've heard that there is some decent diving at Otter Lake and Lake Fenton. I also heard there was a cabin cruiser somewhere in Otter Lake, and was wondering if anyone had a map of the lake or could tell me where to find it. There is a small park on the South shore, I suspect it is somewhere off of here. As far as Lake Fenton goes I've never been there, and if someone had a map of the lake that would be excellent. What about shore dive sites in the sanilac shores area possibly near Port Sanilac.

Hi there.

Make sure to check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew (GLWC) forum under the clubs section of the board. Several of the divers have been to Lake Fenton and can answer your questions. I'm not sure about Otter Lake. I think I have a map of Lake Fenton but won't have time to hunt for it until Monday or Tuesday. I'll also look up the names of a few other charter operators for the Sanilac area. (I'm on a new computer since my old one fried and still working on transferring data or I'd do it right now.)

Also, check out the GLWC Meet & Greet III thread. We're getting together in mid-April down at Gilboa Quarry for a big dive shindig.

Paula

I have dove Otter Lake and been to the cabin cruiser. When I dove it (pre-drysuit days), the weather was miserable and I had the experience of calling my first dive because of it. The visibility was not anything to talk about either. We were using large dive lights on a day dive and still could barely see each other. We scrubbed the second dive because of this. That was to be night dive. We figured that it if the vis was to be that bad with daylight!......

The boat is not difficult to find. We just swam out from the dock and stumbled into it :) .

Lake Fenton has changed it's access policies since I last dove it. We have a couple of threads in the GLWC forum pertaining to this. If you have a little time on tax weekend, slip on down to the quarry and you will find many knowledgeable divers about these areas.

I will add to those suggesting Gary Venet. He runs a class operation and I recommend him highly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom