Sarasota (Siesta Key) - Point of Rocks (snorkel site)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesper,
Thanks for the reply. I take a lot of underwater pics when I am snorkeling, but I have never considered video. All of sudden during the past year I have been hearing about GoPros all the time. It seems to be bringing uw video usage to the masses. I may have to give it a try!

As soon as I saw their demo video on their site and saw the price of the thing, I was sold. I was a bit disappointed when I took a look at the first underwater videos I shot when we were snorkeling in the keys, as I had no idea that a flat lens was necessary to get good video underwater. But yeah, they look like they have an incredible marketing staff, cause I see these thing everywhere now.

Pole spears within 300 feet of shore is a no no as I'm sure most of you know, i wish dumb people wouldn't make all spearos look bad.

That spot has always interested me, miles and miles of sand in either direction but the rocks poke up right there. Made one trip out there before i got a boat but the vis was crap, really cool to look at on google earth though.

Had no idea on that rule, but that makes sense. Any idea what the fine is if caught? And spearing snook is illegal too, right? Like I said, we've seen people with pole spears both times we've been there. We're not hunters yet, as I want us to get a lot more diving experience under our belts first. That, and I should probably be able to tell one grouper from another first.

As for the vis, it was twice as good on our first trip (wish I had brought the camera then). I'd say a few days of easterly winds and high tide and it will be worth the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom