• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sardine run 2009

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Sharkmaster, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Sharkmaster

Sharkmaster Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Mark & Gail Addison have dropped me an email with pictures, they are diving the 'Run' at the moment and early this week they have encountered some large baitballs with shark, dolphin and sea bird activity - some good pictures of the action.

2. ToPpS

ToPpS Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    UKZN Underwater Club

The annual sardine run is upon us. Email me and I will put you on our mailing list to receive updates of the sardines and their location etc. We will dive/spearfish with them if the opportunity arises. All on the mailing and sms list will have first dibs!

Login | Facebook

3. travel girl

travel girl Nassau Grouper

4. travel girl

I awoke this morning went out on my porch and was greeted by hoards of Gannet's diving in the sea with whales romping in the water feeding on the little silver fish, a net has been taken at Ifafa Beach which is about 20km from Aliwal Shoal they have definitely arrived. Going diving at Aliwal now ta-ta
    I think I live on the most beautiful coast in the world for daily updates visit sardine run updates

5. SA-Diver

SA-Diver Barracuda

Lucky girl...

If I am only allowed one place to dive for the rest of my diving days, it will be Aliwal Shoal.
    How was the dive yesterday and how is the "Run" doing?

6. travel girl

I went diving at Aliwal over the week-end - great diving - plenty of shark activity.
    For updates on the sardine run go to sardine run updates

7. nufc

nufc Angel Fish

how do you guys think my odds are if i arrive in joburg on the 11th of july?

i suppose i'd be insanely lucky to get to catch the run...

and how close can you actually get while diving, i suppose the feeding sharks ought to keep one well away from the action :)

8. Sharkmaster

Sharkmaster Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    11th July ? - I have been sat here thinking I am missing the action and I leave on Friday 26th For Africa, even then I am not diving at East London until 30th June - I only hope that the sardines people have been writing about are just a small pocket that ran with a cold patch of water and the rest are just killing time until I get there !!! A friend diver the run last year and he said that the bait balls use the diver as cover, so being next to the action is totally out of your control !

9. Deefstes

Deefstes Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    :D Now there's a comforting thought.

10. travel girl

Please go to this link sardine run updates for updates on the Sardine Run.
    Diving at Aliwall Shoal is very good at the moment.