Sargassum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidkon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been seeing STINAPA's Facebook posts and photos about how bad it is on the east coast and Sorobon. If you are on Bonaire now it sounds like they could use some help.
STINAPA Bonaire
Sure hope it is not washing up on the west coast or Klein.

I think it is primarily in Lac Bay. I doubt that it could get around the island then make the 8 mile trip across the wind to get to Klein. The primary risks are to baby turtles that are caught in it. It probably isn't good for Jibe City's business either.

This video shows the scale of the clean up. I don't understand the language so am not sure what they are saying. STINAPA's pictures on FB show a lot of people out there working on it but the progress is slow. They need dump trucks and front end loaders. The surf board to garbage can approach is going to take forever!

I wasn't aware of this issue. Apparently it has gotten increasingly common over the past few years. I always thought the Sargasso Sea was way out in the Atlantic and the sargasso itself didn't impact the Caribbean Sea much. Makes me think of the algal blooms which have plagued Lake Erie periodically. It's not just Bonaire having to cope with this mess. Here's an interesting article from 2015 during another sargasso invasion.

Sargassum Is Ruining Beaches From Texas to Tobago

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom