SARS ruined my trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
SARS has ruined my trip......

Like most of you, we have been planned this dive trip for at least 6 months ahead, prepaid too. This dive trip begin on Friday night heading to Similian Island, arrived in Phuket on Thursday evening, on the night of arrival was told by the owner of MV Koon that I can not get onboard because I stayed 2 days visiting relatives from the high risk (SARS) country name Taiwan, I am still wondering why MV Koon didn't let me know sooner???? there are 5 of us came from Los Angeles, everyone got onboard except me. Do I feel bitter, yes, at first......I ended up diving with Scuba Cat instead but only for a short 2 days tirp because of my schedule. The trip was awesome and the crew are very helpful, Patrick, Noi, Sylvie, if you are reading this post thank you very much for everything again. The only thing I missed on this dive trip was my buddies, other than that everything else is pretty much what I have planned for.

Tommer

Me too.

I need to cancel my trip to Phuket next week and also my plan to Layang Layang at the end of May.

I am living in the highest risk area -- Hong Kong.

Thats so sad that everyone have to cancel their Diving trips into asia. Hope that this SARS case ends quick!

Cheers

Tiawan is a high risk area for SARS??? I think someone is confused. It is mainland China and Hong Kong.

Hi, I am from the high risk place too. is there any restriction from entering Philipines? I am so disappointed that my frends and I had already planned the trip to Sipadan, but have to cancel or land on other places.

Lonely boy, are you travel alone as always?

Diver ABC once bubbled...
Hi, I am from the high risk place too. is there any restriction from entering Philipines? I am so disappointed that my frends and I had already planned the trip to Sipadan, but have to cancel or land on other places.

Lonely boy, are you travel alone as always?

Fortunately, there's no SARS case reported here in the Philippines as of yet (and I hope there won't be ever).

Sad thing is, I'm supposed to DM for a liveaboard trip this May but was cancelled because most of the divers are coming from supposedly SARS afflicted area - Taiwan

:(

But to answer Diver ABC's question. No, you won't be restricted to enter the country unless you show signs and symptoms of the virus. In such case, you'll be quarantined and immediately brought to a medical facility.

Tommer, I do hope you get your refund.

Taiwan is also regarded as high risk area, but the situation is improving. But Taiwan has no new case for several days already, so the situation there maybe under control.

Cases in Hong Kong and Mainland China are still increasing and still not under control.

The situation in Mainland China is worrying, as the first case was discovered there last Nov and the government has no effect control over it.

To Diver ABC, I normally do not travel alone. I tend to join diving group tour from local HK dive shops. When I go diving in HK, there is always buddy available on the boat.

The airline stop the flight from Taiwan to Manado,
cause no one dare to take flight recently.
My trip in Jul. to Bunaken seems become a dream.
I plan this trip for half year, and finally make up my mind to go.
Hope this disease could be under control ASAP.

Do anyone know now if I still can go to Indonesia from Taiwan?
or be refused to enter that contry.:confused:

Thanks

Steponwind

Steponwind - I went to Lombok in Indonesia last week coming from Singapore (which I believe is more infected than Singapore) and everybody on the flight went through; the only requirement was to complete a declaration saying you have no SARS type symptoms and give a contact address in Indonesia.
So there is still hope for your diving trip...

Back
Top Bottom