Sasebo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SC_Hoaty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On 10_18_2010 my wife and I were fortunate enough to find another diver who was able to take us in his boat to Submarine Island in the 99 Islands off Sasebo.

31430449_b8923ea309.jpg

We had a pleasant dive in 3 mil suits to about 50 feet of seawater. Although the visability was in transition at this time of year, we could still see about 15-20 feet. The sea urchins were plentiful, and I need to look up the name of a coral that grew like a single long strand of white string.

I've not had the chance to dive mainland Japan. I hope I get to before leaving the rock (Oki)

I've not had the chance to dive mainland Japan. I hope I get to before leaving the rock (Oki)

I have not been to Okinawa, but the diving there is reputed to be top notch. Enjoy!

You should come up to Izu Peninsula and give the diving there a shot. Let me know if you are headed up this way. I need to do the same with getting down to Okinawa before I am out of Yokosuka.

No doubt!! Oki has some great diving and most just right outside Kadena. We're quite spoiled down here with the great diving, great viz, free air fills, inexpensive boat diving and all. The Keramas are insane, I love going there. I'll certainly miss it when we have to go.

The long string you described might have been a whip coral...we get that up here at some sites, usually at depths starting at 23 meters and beyond.

I dove Sasebo a handful of years ago...beautiful topside...

You should come up to Izu Peninsula and give the diving there a shot. Let me know if you are headed up this way. I need to do the same with getting down to Okinawa before I am out of Yokosuka.

I'm already back stateside, so I hope your message was to Karastal (who is on Okinawa). What a nice offer!

Jagfish - I think you nailed it - what we saw looks like the pictures of whip coral. Thank you!

Its for anyone wanting to dive up in mainland Japan. I hope to get a few more places in Japan before I have to be heading back to the states.

If I can make it up there for any length of time before we PCS, I will definately hit you up for some good sites. There's so much I want to see and dive before we go but I just don't think we're going to be able to hit it all :sigh:

I'll be moving to Sasebo on Monday.
I was wondering if there were any active dive clubs or divers in the area.
Any good spots to go to?
Where do you get your air tanks?

Back
Top Bottom