Satellite phones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've done some basic research on this and am far more confused than I was before. I need a satphone I can take out on a range of small boats in the western Caribbean (Belize), one with a minimum of ancillary equipment and certainly no fixed gear screwed to the boat. It must have a dependable service in this region. It's only for occasional emergency use when we're out of reach of normal marine radio and cell phones. The cost of use is secondary as it won't be used much, but obviously I'd prefer it weren't outrageous.

I'd prefer one that is a totally self-contained handset, and I think I've seen these in use.

Any suggestions?

I'd stay away from the GlobalStar network:
Two-Way Voice and Duplex Data Services - Temporary Limitations

As previously announced, many Globalstar satellites are experiencing an anomaly resulting in degraded performance of the amplifiers for the S-band satellite communications antenna. The anomaly is adversely affecting two-way voice and data services. Customer service continues to be available, but at certain times at any given location it may take substantially longer to establish calls and the duration of calls may be limited. Globalstar has launched eight spare satellites for its existing constellation with a view to reducing the gaps in its two-way voice and data services pending commercial availability of its second-generation satellite constellation, scheduled for initial launch in the second half of 2009
I've seen an Iridium phone in a self-contained Pelican case somewhere. Probably at the Satellite Phone Store. Let us know how it works out, I'm toying with the idea of getting one for a South Pacific liveaboard trip.

Go with the Iridium phone. It is more expensive than the Globalstar phone but Globalstar has a major problem with their satellites. Most of my customers have dropped Globalstar in favor of a GSM phone or an Iridium. Iridium has been very reliable over the past 8 years I have been working with them if you understand how the thing works. My company provides specialized email service for use with Iridium and other satellite networks. We do not sell Iridium phones but I can likely answer any question you may have and recommend a dealer or two.

The Iridium 9505A phone is fairly compact. It has a good battery and is very mobile. It requires you to be outside but usually comes with a car antenna you can hang outside a porthole if necessary. You can send and receive text messages. Inbound text messages are free...I am not sure what outbound text cost.

Iridium base rate is $1.50 per minute. If you buy minutes in bulk you can get better rates. Usually in the $170 range for 75 minutes good for 3 months or $695 for 500 minutes for 12 months.

If you are post pay the monthly cost to keep your Iridium account open is around $35 per month, plus the $1.50 per minute.

PM me if you have any questions. Most Iridium dealers are pretty close in price. I would get a pelican case or something along those lines in cause you need to ditch.

Jeremy

Let us know how it works out, I'm toying with the idea of getting one for a South Pacific liveaboard trip.

Iridium and Inmarsat are your only options for the South Pacific. Assuming you will be on the liveaboard for a month or less I would rent the Iridium phone. Although, when you rent first ask what the price per minute is. Often dealers charge per minute rates higher than the base rate--around $1.70 per minute. That's the rate last I checked. I have a couple phones in the office and so do not rent.

Ask your liveaboard if they have an Iridium phone on board. You might be able to buy a Crew Calling Card or if the vessel is agreeable get your own SIM and insert it into their phone for your calls. Most probably won't agree to this but some might. If they agree ask if the phone is a 9500 or 9505 or 9505A. The SIM card for the 9500 is the full credit card size and the sim card for the 9505a is GSM sim card size. The smaller sim card is built into the CC size card and needs to be snapped out. Just don't snap the sim card out until you know. :)

Jeremy

Iridium base rate is $1.50 per minute. If you buy minutes in bulk you can get better rates. Usually in the $170 range for 75 minutes good for 3 months or $695 for 500 minutes for 12 months.

$170 for 75 minutes is $2.27 a minute. Doesn't sound like a deal compared to $1.70 a
minute.

And where's the liveaboard trip? There may be GSM cell service on some of it.

Chuck

$170 for 75 minutes is $2.27 a minute. Doesn't sound like a deal compared to $1.70 a minute.

That includes the $38 a month fee Iridium tacks on. Anyway you look at it, satellite phones are expensive. If GSM is available, get an unlocked phone and buy a local SIM card. I have two cell phones. One for the US and one for the rest of the world.

We're likely doing a week of island-hopping in addition to the LOB. So I'll probably rent my own phone. I have a quad band phone and an int'l SIM for some of it. Cost isn't the issue, coverage is. We tend to go off the beaten path and in the last couple of years have been two places where my phone couldn't connect.

Thanks for the info..

I discovered that there's a satellite phone system dedicated to Belize, with phones pretty cheap and calls cheaper than some normal land cellphone calls. I bought a phone used but almost new for US$250 and it already has US$50 call credit on it. In the event the trip I wanted it for didn't happen, so I've not used it on a boat yet. The only drawback with the phone is that it either operates from mains power or from external 12v - it doesn't have a battery of its own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom