Satellite Phones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about getting a satellite phone to take on liveaboards. Any recommendations? What do you get for the extra money you spend on the phone?

You don't get much. I have a globalstar but I don't have it hooked up anymore. In my opinion its a big waste of money. I think the phone was around $700, cheapest one they had at the time, and the plans were absurdly expensive. I think I was paying like $400 a year for the service charge, $150 for internet and $1.50 or so per minute of use. Most liveaboards have some kind of phone if you really need to get in touch with someone.

Screw being in contact when you're on a live-aboard!!!! Enjoy the peace and tranquility!

If it's just for the occasional trip, you can also rent them pretty cheap... That's what I did on one trip where I'd have no service for a few days.

Screw being in contact when you're on a live-aboard!!!! Enjoy the peace and tranquility!

+1 on that.

Best three weeks of my life were in Truk Lagoon/Truk Odyssey where I had no email, phone, TV, internet, BlackBerry, nothing for 21 days straight!

If it's just for the occasional trip, you can also rent them pretty cheap... That's what I did on one trip where I'd have no service for a few days.

We have been doing just that, renting sat phones for years, when going backpacking into the high mountains. It gives us an extra safety margin and allows my dad to call mom and talk to her when us boys are away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom