"Save a Dive" kit: minimum and maximum items ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Save-a-dive 'minimum' will always depend on the type of dives you do and the equipment you need, so you can say you have 'minimums'.

For a wetsuit rec dive I'd say:
- o-rings
- silicone grease (maybe optional)
- fin straps (you should carry a spare mask anyway, so I don't consider that to be part of the save-a-dive)
- glue for neoprene
- scuba tools or a multi-tool

As for the maximum, I'd never thought about it in the way @northernone put it, but I have to say she/he's actually right. The maximum is a redundant kit. Or kits, if you want to go full savage.

Well I don't have the sting treatment, but we don't have a real problem in that area. A good first aid kit is good thing to have around.

The one thing that is ironic about my save a dive kit, is that over the decades I have rarely ever used it on my own gear, mostly yoke O-rings. My buddies, on the other hand, have benefited greatly.

Bob
That's more or less a Murphy's corollary: if something can break at a bad time and you have stuff for an emergency repair, then it will break either at a good time, or that one bad time when you forgot to bring the repair kit with you.

What percentage of advanced divers have an IP gauge in their save-a-dive kit, according to your experience ?

What percentage should ideally have an IP gauge ?

My kit doesn't have all that much in it. I'm not sure yet if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Assortment of O rings
Fin straps
Mask Strap
A set of batteries for my computer and transmitter (When I need batteries I cycle the ones out of the kit so the kit ones stay fresh)
Small multi-tool
Plugs for low and high pressure ports on the first stage
Zip Ties

Well I don't have the sting treatment, but we don't have a real problem in that area. A good first aid kit is good thing to have around.

The one thing that is ironic about my save a dive kit, is that over the decades I have rarely ever used it on my own gear, mostly yoke O-rings. My buddies, on the other hand, have benefited greatly.

Bob
This has been the case for me as well. I have had to use one fin strap for myself. However, numerous o-rings, bungee, tools, mouth piece, zip ties, 1st stage, DIN to yoke adapter, transfill whip, inflator hoses, reg hose, list goes on and on.

I try to keep my SAD kit to a minimum, but I'm really not good at that.
The bare necessities for me are:
O Rings
Silicone goo
Straps (mask, fin, and a spare spring)
Zip Ties
DUCT TAPE!!!!! (surprised I didn't see that in any previous posts)
Electrical tape
Teflon tape
Swiss Army Knife / Multitool (no you may not borrow it)
That "Scuba Tool" multi tool looking thing with wrenches and hex keys etc
Paracord, Bungee Cord, DSMB Line
Spare Band Aids (no sense digging into your First Aid Kit when you bust a knuckle fixin something
Batteries for the computers
Several Chem Lights (AKA Snap lites, cyalume) in White
And as always, a Lighter. for burning cord ends, signaling, setting things aflame, opening beer ...
All of this is stuffed into a Maxpedition FAX MAX Pouch and lives inn the dry bag.

I try to keep my SAD kit to a minimum, but I'm really not good at that.
The bare necessities for me are:
O Rings
Silicone goo
Straps (mask, fin, and a spare spring)
Zip Ties
DUCT TAPE!!!!! (surprised I didn't see that in any previous posts)
Electrical tape
Teflon tape
Swiss Army Knife / Multitool (no you may not borrow it)
That "Scuba Tool" multi tool looking thing with wrenches and hex keys etc
Paracord, Bungee Cord, DSMB Line
Spare Band Aids (no sense digging into your First Aid Kit when you bust a knuckle fixin something
Batteries for the computers
Several Chem Lights (AKA Snap lites, cyalume) in White
And as always, a Lighter. for burning cord ends, signaling, setting things aflame, opening beer ...
All of this is stuffed into a Maxpedition FAX MAX Pouch and lives inn the dry bag.
Why would you want the devil's floss (Teflon tape) in the kit? That stringy crap has screwed up more fine equipment than I can remember. There just isn't that much tapered pipe thread in scuba gear. (yes, I still use the stuff around the house)

I see a lot of people suggesting silicon grease. As a newbie who wants to learn, I have this question: in what occasion(s) silicone grease can save a dive?? Ok, for example when replacing an o-ring is (usually) a good idea to lube it a bit, but I doubt that o-rings that can be changed on the field REQUIRE lube. I mean I understand the use of it, but I can't think of a single case that not having some around me, would prevent me from diving. Can you give me some examples? Thanks in advance.

What are the minimum and maximum items that you should always carry around in your "Save a Dive" kit ?

Are you suggesting that your save-a-dive(SaD) kit should always be the same for each dive you do? Local shore dive vs overnite dive trip vs 7 day liveaboard.

@Roger Hobden ,,,What items would YOU remove from your own SaD kit for a 7 day liveaboard?

Are you suggesting that your save-a-dive(SaD) kit should always be the same for each dive you do? Local shore dive vs overnite dive trip vs 7 day liveaboard.

@Roger Hobden ,,,What items would YOU remove from your own SaD kit for a 7 day liveaboard?

Beginner diver here: never been on a liveaboard.

I am creating threads like this one to learn from the experts. :)

I see a lot of people suggesting silicon grease. As a newbie who wants to learn, I have this question: in what occasion(s) silicone grease can save a dive?? Ok, for example when replacing an o-ring is (usually) a good idea to lube it a bit, but I doubt that o-rings that can be changed on the field REQUIRE lube. I mean I understand the use of it, but I can't think of a single case that not having some around me, would prevent me from diving. Can you give me some examples? Thanks in advance.

• Dry glove o-ring lubrication is critical to a good seal
  • Computer battery port covers
  • Camera housings
  • Rebreather fittings
  • Dive Light battery compartment o-rings

Just to name a few...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom