Save a Dive Kit (tools)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnherrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last edited:
I have two kits. One is a small aluminum cylinder with screw-on cap that has a brass pick and several o-rings for my reg hoses and cylinder valves. The other kit is a small waterproof Plano tackle bin that has all sizes of o-rings, picks, fitting wrench, a small vial of christo-lube, din to yoke converter plugs, an allen wrench, BC inflator tool, several lengths of cave line and bungie cord, extra bolts for my spring straps, and a few small stainless snap swivels.

This is what I use, it's a roll so it's easy to take on trips as well, and covers most of my needs. I also have spare o rings and a pick that go in there too.
ee91485717416c241243808082b5187e.jpg
b287c9079e5ad2d8bd77e5a4816f901d.jpg

There has been more than a few threads on this topic in the past you may want to search. However, I would recommend limiting your kit to easily broken items like mask strap, fin straps, snorkel keeper, zip ties, and tank O-rings. Better yet replace the fin straps with springs and use a neoprene mask strap. Inspect and test your gear well before going on the dive. Most of these save-a-dive lists are ridiculous, there is no way you are going to do heavy gear repair on a rocking boat. Also it would be expensive to carry a large save-a-dive kit on a airline.

Agreed, lots of threads. My short answer. I basically travel with a dive shop on trips where I drive. On trips that require flights I pare that down to the absolute necessities. Plenty of posts on that.

In addition to a kit that stays in my room, in Bonaire I also carry a zip lock bag of o-rings, tire inflator, zip ties, AAA batteries for my dive light, a section of cave line, and a few spare bolt snaps that I keep in the car. Nothing that I would cry about if *lost* on the boat, I leave off the tire inflator. :D

BTW. I recently discovered that a curved hemostat works much better for me at replacing o-rings and I now carry that instead of a pick. Less likely to stab myself too.

Last edited:
My basic kit starts with a complete spare regulator, a spare mask, a few o-ring with pick, and a roll of duct tape. I then add other stuff mostly to avoid having to commit the spare regulator and to help others. I have never had to resort to my spare reg except to help others. I even carry a fin strap which is no use to me as I have spring straps on my fins.

Reactions: RJP
What's in your Save a Dive Tool Kit?

Start with an ounce of prevention. Regular gear inspection, general maintenance, and proper servicing.

With nearly 1,000 dives - reefs, wrecks, caves - over the past nine years the only items I've used out of my SAD box have been given to other divers. There's got to be more to that than dumb luck.

as noted above, your kit depends upon your circumstances.

as a vacation diver, i have 2 distinct kits. i carry a zip lock baggy with 1 zip tie, 1 mask strap, 1 fin strap, 1 reg mouth piece in my dive bag. i have a larger zip lock bag with a bunch more junk (d rings, straps, zelcro stuff, paper clips, ...) that i leavein my room.

things i have actually used:
- a zip tie to refasten a mouth piece after a servicetch screwed up my dive buddy's reg and the mouth piece came lose
- several plastic d rings and paper clips to replace broken zipper pulls on wetsuits
- 1 fin strap
- black electrical tape to secure a camera tray screw

as a vacation diver using a full service dive op or a liveaboard, i have always had ready access to tools and most common replacement parts. i have used resort orings (for their tanks) and "borrowed" a hand drill and soldering iron on a live aboard.

as implied above, the most versatile part of my sad kit is a spring paper clip. the wire is very tough and does not rust in salt water.

I tend to go a bit overboard, I suppose. I have 2 tool boxes. 1 box with Open Circuit tools, service kits (Everything except a vise & a Magnihelic). The other box has tools, spare parts & kits for my CCR..... But then being a repair tech has its pluses (I can always repair my own equipment) & its minuses (I frequently get asked to work on other's equipment).

Back
Top Bottom