Save A Dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was just wondering what others put in their save a dive kits.

Yesterday I was at Leo Carrillo with the Beach Crabs. After installing my first stage on my tank I opened the tank and heard a faint air leak sound. So I removed the first stage looked at the o-ring which looked good and tightened up all hoses again. Reinstalled and still heard the air leak. My dive buddy found the HP hose was damaged causing the leak.

No one had an extra HP hose so I aborted.

I brought extra straps both for my fins and two masks, o rings, zip ties, tools and even two snorkels. I thought I was well prepared, apparently I wasn't.

So I am asking around for others advice on what to bring for a save a dive kit.:idk:

Once you're in this caper for a bit or a bit more like me a second set of gear magically appears from hiding in the crevices of your car when required that didn't cost you more than a couple of hundred bucks if you can remember anyways and if this stuff breaks too it's time for the pub.

I was just wondering what others put in their save a dive kits.

Yesterday I was at Leo Carrillo with the Beach Crabs. After installing my first stage on my tank I opened the tank and heard a faint air leak sound. So I removed the first stage looked at the o-ring which looked good and tightened up all hoses again. Reinstalled and still heard the air leak. My dive buddy found the HP hose was damaged causing the leak.

No one had an extra HP hose so I aborted.

I brought extra straps both for my fins and two masks, o rings, zip ties, tools and even two snorkels. I thought I was well prepared, apparently I wasn't.

So I am asking around for others advice on what to bring for a save a dive kit.:idk:

A save-a-dive kit consists of a lot of hard choices, especially as space/weight become factors for airborne travel, so you have to prioritize. Normally I'll carry a complete spare LP hose/BC inflator assembly and a spare BC OPV for field repairs on my BC/wing. Also, I bring 2 COMPLETE reg sets, so I can switch to my 2nd reg if the 1st one 'goes south'...or I can use the 2nd reg set as a spare parts donor and can use that to strip off/loan spare parts.

Also have one of those little Trident zipper tools kits $ 25-$35 ish with a few small screwdrivers/silicone grease....lots of assorted sized O-rings....brass O-ring picks...zip ties...mouthpiece, needlenose pliers....(2) small adjustable crescent wrenches....computer battery/O-ring......small Nitrox analyzer....light batteries...mask defog....spare mask.

I don't bring spare fin straps ever since I switched to stainless steel springs straps years ago.

What you have in a save-a-dive kit depends on what you are able and willing to "fix" at the dive site. As you dive more, stuff will break, you'll fix it, buy spares, and your save-a-dive kit will grow.

For a HP hose, I could easily replace a HP spool. If the hose crimp/ferrule were bad, the entire hose would require replacement. One of my dive buddies has a console-mounted AI-computer and dives with a backup analog SPG. I would have snagged his analog SPG to do the dive. :D

My save-a-dive kit includes: tools to take apart my first stage, spent CO2 cartridge, various wrenches, yoke insert for thermopro valve, various o-rings, O2-compatible grease, brass o-ring picks, 30-inch reg hose, adapter to turn reg hose into inflater hose, adapter to turn inflater hose into tire inflater, adapter to turn inflater hose into air blower, i.p. gauge, Oxycheq combo tool to overhaul BCD power inflater and take apart tank valve, first stage LP and HP port plugs, HP spools, replacement schrader valves, schrader valve tool, flathead and phillips head screwdrivers, bungee cord, duct tape, needle-nose pliers, fin strap, mask strap, backup mask, a couple of trash bags, small first aid kit, zipties, lighter, small ziploc with Q-tips and a few paper towel sheets, scissors, octo keeper, hose retainer, din-to-yoke spin-on adapter, crushable floppy sun hat, 1 pair Atlas 660 gloves, 3mm neoprene gloves, Bonine, ibuprofen, pseudoephedrine, loperamide, reg mouthpiece, and backup wingnut/washers for STA.

When I first started diving, all I had was an o-ring save-a-dive kit + scuba tool. :D

I have saved a couple of my dives...and many dives for other people.

On dive vacations, I will sometimes carry a backup reg set.

Last edited:
My save a dive kit depends on where I'm diving.

If we're getting on a boat, I try to check all my gear out ahead of time and I'll just carry a couple of o-rings and some basic tools. I'm not usually gonna try and fix a big problem on a boat. I'll keep a more comprehensive kit in the truck or back at the hotel that includes spare hoses, first stage, SPG, tools, IP gauge, overhaul kits etc. and will fix the problem once we get back to the dock/hotel.

If we're cave diving the full kit is usually in the truck or at the hotel depending on proximity and just about any problem can be fixed on site.

Basically what we carry comes down to how important is it not to miss the dive. A second (third? fourth?) reg set solves a lot of problems.

The "easiest" save-a-dive kit is a complete backup regulator, some o-rings, and a few tools, maybe a spare mask. I use spring straps on my fins, and a neoprene mask strap, so "breakage" there is unlikely.

To be honest, I often forget to bring any spares (I live about 15 minutes from where I typically dive, however, so this is a big factor in my laziness). When I do remember, I bring a pretty complete tool kit, with IP gauge, and enough parts to rebuild my reg at the beach :D .... but more often than not I forget :D

Pre-dive (while still at home) inspections go a LONG way to preventing 99% of dive site "surprises".... but sometimes you'll still get surprised by a 1% gear failure :idk:

Best wishes.

Well as a noob, I have a lot yet that I can learn. I am sure my kit will change a bit the next time I dive. Thanks all for the advice.

Thank you for sharing the article on Rescue Tape! I just bought a roll for the save a dive kit from Amazon for $10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom